New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just won a ibook G4 M9426LL/A

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justjane

justjane is on a distinguished road

Its my first mac and I grabbed this up for $201.99 Shipped. I am still very new to mac, But was this a good deal? It seems to be upgraded from the original to include 1.25 gig of ram instead of the standard for this model and also has a 60 gig hard drive. here are the specs of it. Please let me know what you all think and if I got a good deal or if I jumped the gun.
Manufacturer
Apple

Model / Part Number
iBook G4 M9426LL/A

Processor
G4 1.0Ghz

Memory
1.25GB

Hard Drive(s)
60GB
Optical Drive(s)
CD-RW/DVD-ROM ComboDrive
Floppy Drive(s)
Network Interface
Ethernet
Wireless
Airport Extreme Installed
Bluetooth
n/a
Form Factor
Laptop
Keyboard & Mouse n/a
Ports
2 USB ports, 1 Firewire, Audio, Video, Ethernet, Modem
Operating System
OSX 10.3

I plan on installing snow leopard and also getting a dvd burner to throw in it. But that will come a few weeks later. So what are your opinions good or bad? Thanks everyone! Hopefully I will be surfing this site with my own mac very soon!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjane View Post

Model / Part Number
iBook G4 M9426LL/A

Processor
G4 1.0Ghz

I plan on installing snow leopard
You better change your plans. OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will only install on an Intel Mac... which your iBook G4 is not.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
justjane

justjane is on a distinguished road

Whats the latest OS i can install?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You should be able to go with Leopard 10.5.8 although Tiger (10.4.11) would probably run better.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyFIVE

johnnyFIVE is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPad & iphone 3G

I had a 1ghz w/ 1gb of RAM that ran leopard great, Tiger would probably run a bit faster but I ran CS3 on my machine with leopard with no problem at all.

In terms of the deal you got at 200 shipped thats actually really good. I would expect a machine like that to go for 300ish.

When you receive the machine I wouldn't leave feedback for at least a week and really test it hard, open and close the lid a few times while its on, hold the palm rest and lift it while it is on. plug it in/unplg/plug it in, really do a bunch of things to test it fully.

Seriously give it a good week of hard use and testing before leaving feedback, I have bought 2 macs on ebay for a customer to complete an order(didnt have them in at the time) and I received 2 bad ones, so just be careful. I did get them replaced but its still a pain.

QUOTE Thanks
Emptee

Emptee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB

Yeah, my mother went onto ebay and bought an old G4 and surprised me when it got there. It was cool because she thought she was all techy and updated on how to work ebay and work the mac... Too bad I had to buy/replace all the ram and hd since the guy never included it. Make sure you deal with a good guy and read the reviews for him and what's in the description so you know exactly what you're getting.
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

By the looks of it, you got a good deal. But always follow eBay "SOPs" and if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.
Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Unfortunately that machine will not run Snow Leopard, and will even be slow with Leopard. I just sold my parents 1.2 GHz with maxed RAM and 7200 RPM hard drive. They are very patient with older technology but it was painful even for them to try to get around even the internet with it. The PowerPC processor has been left behind by modern technologies, forget anything with flash, it's going to be a slideshow. It could be OK for very light browsing, word processing, etc, but these old Macs are obsolete now.

My advice to you would be to resell this, since people are willing to pay ridiculous amounts for old Macs on eBay. You could probably get $300 for it, then save for a little while and get at least an early Intel Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Let's track our Apple shipments here | Using the iSight »