New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Advance Newbie Questions....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blingies

Blingies is on a distinguished road

I recently "evolved" from the ancient era of using a 'windows' laptop and i am now the proud owner of a MacBook Pro 13".

I have already adapted to the new OS and i am loving it! It is so much smoother and easier then windows...

I have a few questions that i need answered...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I use my MBP mostly on battery power. I charge it to 100%, then take out charger and use up the power till its 20% or lower. Then i recharge and etc....

Is that a good way to sustain my battery life? Is keeping my MBP plugged in a better solution?

My current stats on coconutbattery are as follows....
Current battery capacity = 5665 mAh
Original battery capacity = 5450 mAh
Health = 100%

Battery load cycles = 12
Age of Mac = 6 months

-------------------------------------------------------

2. How hot does your mac get?
On average, at the default 2000 rpm, my mac can get up to 60 degrees, on basic browsing... Is that good?

I sometimes set my rpm to 5000 and my mac goes down to 40 degrees...

What is a good temperature to keep my mac on?

What should i do? Cool down the laptop at the expense of waring down the fan?

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. I have installed iworks 09 and it... is.... different to what im used to. Keynote is just not my thing and numbers.... well, it sucks... compared to the MS Office counterparts... But pages is cool! .. =)

I wanted to replace keynotes and numbers with the Office equivilant... powerpoint and excel but im not sure if i should install the Windows version or the Mac version...

I pretty much used to word, powerpoint and excel on windows, so should i install those versions? or go with the mac versions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Is there like a dancing cartoon critter that i could download for my dashboard? Something fun, anything fun. I seen a dancing crash bandicoot for windows, but i want something fun for the dashboard... any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be (Y) =)
Any if anyone would want to answer another random un-important question,
is there a way to remove the "show all bookmarks" button that is next to the "show top sites" button on safari?
I never use the bookmarks button and it annoys me when if i want to go to a top site, i scroll all the way to the top left, and then slightly move my mouse an inch to get to the top sites button...

Macbook Pro > Windows
=)
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Quote:
I wanted to replace keynotes and numbers with the Office equivilant... powerpoint and excel but im not sure if i should install the Windows version or the Mac version...

I pretty much used to word, powerpoint and excel on windows, so should i install those versions? or go with the mac versions?
The is the only bit I can comment on as a long-time Windows and Office user. If you are accustomed to the Msoft product, iWorks will slow you down - you have to search for things that are intuitive with Word and Excel. The Mac version of Office is somewhere between Office 2003 and Office 2007/8, usable, but, again, not the original version. So, the option is to install virtual machine software to allow you to switch from Windows to OS X in the course of a session at the keyboard. The choices are the free Virtual Box, Parallels and VMFusion. I use VMFusion and find that I can work happily with Office for Windows in one "space" and the OS X applications in another.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Generally I like to keep my MB plugged in, when I'm using it. I let it drain to almost completely once a month.

I would leave the fan settings alone. It's fine the way it is.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Before you purchase Office for Mac why not give NeoOffice Home. I think it may be close enough to the PC version of Office to be more productive for you.

I pass files back and fourth regularly with no problem although I am not passing anything with complex formatting. That should work though since it writes the same file formats as Office. Best of all, unlike Office for the Mac, it's free.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Before you purchase Office for Mac why not give NeoOffice Home. I think it may be close enough to the PC version of Office to be more productive for you.

I pass files back and fourth regularly with no problem although I am not passing anything with complex formatting. That should work though since it writes the same file formats as Office. Best of all, unlike Office for the Mac, it's free.
Ditto on that in respects to OpenOffice. Has equivalents to all the same stuff you get with MS Office.

Give them a try and decide for yourself what works best for you.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well there mostly answered above ...

I keep my MB plugged in all the time. And thats 24/7 and every now and then sit in bed and play on it get the battery down a bit and then bback on next day.
Keeps it cycling over.

To remove + sign ADD BOOKMARK when in Safari goto 'View' dropdown and then 'Customise Toolbar' ... A popup will appear then just got to the +sign and drag it to desk top and it will disappear in a puff of smoke. Just like dragging something from the Dock

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

The battery is, I think, Lithium Ion. LIon batteries don't take well to full discharges. They last longer if you keep them above 65-70%. My wife's laptop is plugged in all the time, we only use it on battery about once a month to let the meter recalibrate. All LIon batteries start to lose capacity after two years from manufacture, no matter how you treat it, losing capacity slowly for a couple of years then more rapidly after that.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Let's see what apple has to say about your battery :

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

and leave your fan alone. Trust the smart people who designed that wonderfull new machine of yours.

Hope this helps
Clay

oh and another vote for openoffice/neooffice

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New imac has a low beep noise. | Mac to run Microsoft Office 2003 in Parallels?? »