New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time machine for Windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pako80

pako80 is on a distinguished road

Do you guys know if there is something similar to Time Machine for the PC?

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
Powermac G4 733mhz Quicksilver
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

If by "PC" you mean Windows, then it's called System Restore.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pako80

yes windows, but i meant a third party solution, maybe with better ease of use

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

It would help if we could get some info on your needs. I assume you are basically looking for a backup solution. Considerations might be:

- File Versioning
- External Media / Online / Off-Site
- Scope of your Backup (how much data)
- Budget (because most good solutions aren't free solutions).

If you're looking for something that *looks* like Time Machine, well, then you're probably not helping yourself, really. But there are excellent solutions for Windows available. Let us know some more of what you need, functionally.
QUOTE Thanks
pako80

something that works like time machine, in that you can go back and restore a given file, i used time machine on my mac and i'm looking for something similar for my' girlfriend's windows laptop, she is a basic user so something easy like time machine would be great for her, she just connects the drive and thats it! she just needs to backup basic stuff like thesis docs etc

MacBook Pro 2.4hz C2D
QUOTE Thanks
KarenKing

KarenKing is on a distinguished road

try genie timeline i use it on my PC for 2 months now and it does work like time machine on MAC... automatically saves all my documents and emails and doesn't require any intervention from me

www.genietimeline.com
QUOTE Thanks
vellad

vellad is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I want to put my full disclosure here - I actually work with Altaro Software - the developers of Oops!Backup. Keep that in mind - I may be biased

I found out this post while conducting some market research and I thought of replying to it

On 1 December we released a product called Oops!Backup. Oops!Backup is a backup and versioning product that automatically backs up and versions documents, images and other files without user intervention. When the user wants to go back to other versions he can use our BackInTime browser to search, preview and easily restore the version he needs. We spent a lot of time on the user experience and I think we did a pretty good job at it Check out the screenshots at Screenshots Page and a list of features here.

When developing Oops!Backup, we where influenced by Time Machine to a certain extent.

Answering Yogi's point - we do file versioning, backup to USB and the scope is limited to disk size and how many different versions you want to keep.

Anyone willing to give it a try can download a 30-day trial from Download Oops!Backup - it works with Win 7 (32 and 64 bit), Win Vista (32 and 64 bit) and Win XP (32 bit).

I look forward to answer any queries

Wish you all great holidays

David Vella - david@altaro.com
Altaro Software - Time Machine for Windows - Recover Deleted Files with Oops!Backup - Software that allows you to go back in time to recover documents and files - Altaro

QUOTE Thanks
yamawho

yamawho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 09 version

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

Continuous Data Protection
Acronis Nonstop Backup™ automatically creates incremental backups every five minutes allowing users to roll back their system, files, and folders to any point in time in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have to agree with yamawho. I've been using Acronis software to backup my Windows partitions for years and it's never failed me. I also believe they've got a Xmas special going on right now. Discounts for their True Image software and some others.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« VMFusion question | Saving pics to i-photo »