New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My new MacBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

copyleft

copyleft is on a distinguished road

I've been a Linux user for a few years, so it's not like I'm *just* ditching Windows. I have 5 computers apart from this Macbook, and the only one running Windows is dual booted with Linux. I love the Mac's overall design, and heard a lot of good things about OS X. And, since OS X is based on UNIX and uses a lot of Open Source technology... why not try it?

I bought the entry level MacBook last Sunday. What a wonderful purchase! I've used OS X before, but only in it's earlier days (I think I tried... Jaguar? Whichever was around in 2003) and did not like it much. It felt too plastic and buggy (I won't even talk about my OS 9 experience). But now with 10.6 I can truly say it's the most simplified and clean looking OS I have ever used. While I still love Linux and do not intend on giving it up, I think that every notebook I buy will be a Mac.

Reasons:

- It's the first notebook where I prefer the trackpad over a mouse
- Modernized, widely supported UNIX-based OS
- Can run OS X and Linux in a dual boot
- Not Windows; I don't have to buy a computer and delete the OS.
- Keyboard is excellent to type with
- iPhoto
- My local university supports OS X, not Linux
- Battery life

Gripes:

- The bloody merge feature doesn't exist in Finder!
- Proprietary (Think of it from the Linux user's perspective!)

Overall, I love the MacBook. And yes, I even like the "Zoom" button; I get "OCDish" when I see a window not lined up properly, so pressing a button to resize to best-fit works well for me. Good keyboard, good trackpad, good OS, good screen... nothing bad so far. Even the price isn' t that bad.

Now I see what all the fanboys were talking about =p

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
BMWguy206

BMWguy206 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz

Nice post! So I take it you're a college student? Did you get any student discounts?

Before I bought my first iMac I was building PCs as a hobby and tweaking them. I was not impressed with Vista and gave iMac a try and I was hooked ever since. I don't miss building PCs anymore.

This week I just ordered a Macbook Pro for my sister and this will be the first MBP in the house. I can't to see her face when she opens up the package.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat won't let me sign up | Cisco Packet Tracer 4.1 »