New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Soon to be Switcher!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kolmer

Kolmer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 SOON!

As a soon to be switcher I have a few questions about what I am looking for in a Mac. I know what specs to be looking for in a PC, and I feel that a Mac can't be to far off, numbers wise but, is there any specific things I should be looking for?

I am currently in the hunt for a PowerMac G5, on ebay. They are currently running anywhere from 200-900 dollars. I know about Hard drives, and memory, but what I am having trouble with is processor and an Operating System specs.

Which ones am I looking for? Is it worth it to just buy one with basic parts and upgrade?

*Also if this helps, my main use for this will be medial; movies, music, etc.

**Just saw this ad http://www.wegenermedia.com/g5twr.htm , at the top of my screen, is this site legit? Would this be a better bet then ebay?

Thanks For Any Help

-Kolmer

[CENTER]I am new[/CENTER]
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

Based on what your doing, any of the processor speeds should work decently but buy the best you can afford. I have never heard of that site but you can always find good deals on ebay. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Wenger Media is legit, but pricey.

You can find better deals on older G5s on eBay.
Here's a much better deal on eBay
Even with "Buy it Now" it's a better deal than what Wenger Media has to offer.

They even pop up on the Lancaster/Harrisburg/York craigslists every now and again.

If you're looking for a newer machine, used Intel machines are still a bit pricey on eBay and the like, but if you dig around long enough you can find someone who isn't too greedy or deluded as to the real worth of their machine.

Always check this site first before you make any offer on a Used/Refurbished Mac: Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac & iPod - Evaluation - Argus Mac, iPod, iPhone Occasion

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first mac! | Finder- list files by type order »