New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

smc fan control giving me issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

I have it set to a certain speed for my fan but out of nowhere it wont work.It just stays at factory settings even though its clicked for 3.5k..

thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
I have it set to a certain speed for my fan but out of nowhere it wont work.It just stays at factory settings even though its clicked for 3.5k.. thoughts?
Uninstall it. You don't need it anyway. Let the fans spin at whatever RPM the engineers designed into the machine. They're controlled thermally.

If you need to know what RPM your fans are spinning at, download and install the free iStat menus.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Uninstall it. You don't need it anyway. Let the fans spin at whatever RPM the engineers designed into the machine. They're controlled thermally.
Could not agree more.

Quote:
If you need to know what RPM your fans are spinning at, download and install the free iStat menus.
You don't even need that.
Third party monitors (like iStat) will only make you paranoid.
They bring otherwise ignored, irrelevant and unimportant aspects of a machine to the user's attention.

They are also very often unreliable and don't really give any useful or helpful information.

Uninstall anything like SMC or iStat and just enjoy your computer.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

Well the reason I have it is because my laptop spends alot of time on my lap. And without SMC,video's make my computer to hot to handle. Literally. With SMC I crank it up and it keeps my laptop at 70* celcius tops =-/
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
Well the reason I have it is because my laptop spends alot of time on my lap. And without SMC,video's make my computer to hot to handle.
Well, it's not a laptop (it's a notebook or portable computer) and it shouldn't be spending much time on your lap at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Do not place your MacBook on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time.
Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.
The bottom of the MacBook case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside.
Apple - Support - MacBook - Care and Handling

The computer is only doing what it was designed to do.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll be the one asking in a year or so about strange chirping noises coming from your computer.

Would highly recommend a laptop stand if you want to use it on your lap.
I can recommend this one. There are other less expensive options.

Even though you're cranking up the fans, while blocking or partially blocking the vent at the rear edge of your machine, you're still making it get hotter and causing the fans to work harder attempting to draw in and push out air while not providing the means for them the means to do so.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ghost Files | Transfer videos from Mac to PS3 »