New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Questions about memory for my mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maccccman

maccccman is on a distinguished road

Hey mac people!
I have a mac (and love it) that is just a dinasaur that I would love to add some memory to so it doesn't run as slow as a pentium 1, but people phrase the memory specs so differently, I don't know what work and what don't. The first part is my comp specs and the second part is the memory they "say" will work for me. Can anyone verify this for me please? Thanks a mil.

My Comp specs straight from the system profiler:
>
>
> Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)
>
> CPU Type: Power PC G4 (2.9)
>
> CPU Speed: 400 MHz
>
> L2 Cache (per CPU): 1MB
>
> Bus Speed: 100 MHz
>
> Boot ROM Version: 3.2.6f1
>
The memory they say will work. It reads like guam to me!

http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=7622
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

yeah, thats the stuff. It's incredibly cheap ram, and I would warn you that quality might not be near what other retailers might offer. But for the price, it's worth it. You could get one stick, and if it works fine, get another couple to throw in.

the thing that worries me, is the site says this: (High Density) ONLY FOR SYSTEMS THAT CAN READ 1.5GB OR MORE TOTAL SYSTEM MEMORY - BECAUSE OF THE MEMORY DENSITY THIS MEMORY WILL NOT WORK ON PENTIUM II OR PENTIUM III MOTHERBOARDS BUILT WITH INTEL BRAND CHIPSETS - PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM UNLESS YOU HAVE FIRST CONFIRMED THAT YOUR SYSTEM CAN READ A 1.5GB (1500MB) TOTAL SYSTEM MEMORY OR MORE

what are all the other users input on that?
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

it also says this: "I have a system with an Intel brand chipset or an Apple system that can take 512MB modules in every memory slot

Then I Need A Memory Module Made With 32x8 Chips"

which would mean he'd need the $100 ram. Which is more in line with the price I'm seeing for Powermac g4 (agp) ram.

This site has good ram, I've bought it before. but it will set you back $108.
http://powerlinememory.com/powermac_G4_400Mhz_agp.htm
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820145133

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Also check out OWC - G4 400 MHz (AGP) Memory. They have a few options for $79 that are 100% guaranteed to work properly with your system, and also include a lifetime warranty.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
embries

EDIT: After further investigation, it seems this vendor is using a different notation for "high density". These guys are referring to a process by which Manufacturers downgrade higher rated modules for use in this chip. There are a very select few motherboards that will be able to run this memory. I do not suggest using it.

Note that you should be able to use PC133 in that system as well. Since PC100 and PC133 are really the same.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820146024

or

http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=869

(I've bought quite a bit of memory from AIB through the years, always works well and they'll honor the warranty).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstalling? | Windows Shares - Storing Passwords »