New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

is the standard configuration going to be fast enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mattwilko92

Mattwilko92 is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,

I registered to the forum yesterday as i am pretty settled on buying a Macbook.

I am from the UK and i am pretty settled on the new White Macbook,

One quick question,

It comes as a 2.23Ghz, 2GB DDR3 and a 250GB hard drive.

After been sick to death of Windows slowness, lagging and i want to invest in this for chat, internet surfing, viewing photos, managing my ipod and a bit of word processing. My question is, is the standard configuration going to be fast enough? As i am extremely sick of the lag of windows.

Any help/info is much appreciated.

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Yes, the standard configuration will be fast enough. You can always add more memory to the machine later on and even swap out the hard drive for a larger faster model. However, don't purchase those upgrades from Apple as they charge a premium price. Both the memory and hard drive are user doable.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You shouldn't have any problem with that configuration for what you want to do.

The great thing about Macs are that they are designed so efficiently that you don't need the same processor speed and amount of RAM that you would in a Windows machine. You could always upgrade the RAM yourself later. It's much cheaper than ordering through Apple. Same thing with the HDD.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Ohhhh! You're too fast. I took too long proof-reading my post.
QUOTE Thanks

613 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB

As a simple comparison, I do all those things on my 1st gen MacBook from 2006. Believe me when I tell you that computer will scream through all those tasks. Plus as the previous posters have mentioned, the upgrades are there to make it even more powerful!

David
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

This is going to be unpopular, but if your Windows machine isn't too old and the hardware is decent, have you considered just wiping it and doing a fresh Windows install from scratch?

You'd be amazed at how much faster it runs after doing that. You could even buy a copy of Windows 7 and throw that on (from scratch, after formatting the drive) and probably get a good bump in speed.

But hey, it wouldn't be as nice as getting a fresh new Macbook

Just a thought, if money is an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
ralphmorgan

ralphmorgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 iMac10,1 w/Mountain Lion 10.9.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 4S iPhone with 6.? upgrade

When I bought my new iMac I found that it was 5 or 6 times faster than my Windows XP. But when I took my old PC and removed all the programs that I would no longer use... no internet on the PC... I found my old system to be pretty quick. The program that slowed it down was Norton Anti Virus. There may be other Anti-Virus programs that don't slow Windows down as much as Norton but I had Norton for years and just stuck with it. With a Mac you don't have virus problems because not too many a**holes are out there trying to create a virus for Mac and Apple is always on top of any that are created and will upgrade you Mac to protect against the virus. I switched to Mac, I am happy now, but I did go through a stressful time of learning a new and "exciting" system.
QUOTE Thanks
sandm

sandm is on a distinguished road

I personally never had a problem with Windows and I don't even use anti virus regularly on my PC anymore, but that being said, I'm also in the market for a Macbook Pro. It might be unpopular, but I agree with Mostro. If you really need a faster computer and are a bit strapped for cash, you'll probably be able to hold off with Windows 7 until you can get a better Mac. Then again, I build all my desktops and haven't had a single problem running them because I don't skimp on anything. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Personally, I'm getting a Mac because I need it for a few applications and I need a laptop, so why not kill two birds with one stone?
QUOTE Thanks
sandm

sandm is on a distinguished road

Honestly though, for your intended usage, the standard configuration will be fine, if not overkill. If you want sheer snappiness in your system later on, there is no upgrade as good as a solid state drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hello New user/switcher | Accounting Software »