New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hello everyone!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Powerslave

Powerslave is on a distinguished road

I just purchased my first mac yesterday for black friday, and i'm really looking forward to the change. I have been a long time PC user, in fact a few people in my family are chastising me for my purchase. But! enough is enough, i hated vista, and now that it's about time for me to get a new computer, I have decided to give Snow Leapord OS X a try rather then Windows 7. anyway, i believe I will be on here often, as I'm happy to join a new community. Thanks for having me.

Nic
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

andr3wkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M

Have fun!

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz w/ 4GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Welcome and congrats !

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Powerslave

I have a question.. how will Window 7 run on the Mac? will it run both snow leopard AND W7? or... Dunno, sorry, like i said in another thread, this is my first mac I JUST got it on black friday.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I have a question.. how will Window 7 run on the Mac?
Windows will run like Windows.
It won't be any different.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I have a question.. how will Window 7 run on the Mac? will it run both snow leopard AND W7? or... Dunno, sorry, like i said in another thread, this is my first mac I JUST got it on black friday.
It'll run Windows 7 just fine.

There's two ways you can run Windows in general on a Mac; through Boot Camp which will run Windows exactly like a PC would, or through virtualization using Virtualbox (Free), Parallels, VMWare Fusion. It'll run Windows in Mac OS X. This is a great option if you need to use Windows but the downsides are slightly lower performance in Windows. Running graphics extensive programs under virtualization isn't a viable solution, but Microsoft Office runs just fine.

QUOTE Thanks
Powerslave

Honestly, the only reason I would want windows on it would be to play Aion. Is there a way I can just have it as a guest OS, like switch back and forth? or do I need to install Windows

NEWBIE!
Xbox Live Gamertag= Grindslave
QUOTE Thanks
andr3wkim

In that case, you can probably use Parallels or Fusion if you don't mind playing at low settings. Otherwise you'd have to install Windows by Boot Camp which is under the "Applications\Utilities" folder. You'd have to restart in order to switch Mac and Windows use.

QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Hey, welcome! Your family will soon be crowding around your Mac in envy. I'm not sure Boot Camp is up to Windows 7 yet, better check that first.
QUOTE Thanks
Powerslave

that boot camp thing sounds great I think i'll get an xp thing on it..

NEWBIE!
Xbox Live Gamertag= Grindslave
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
Welcome and congrats !

lol..nice sig...windows also lets in viruses and trojans, too!! don't keep 'em open too long as fresh air is the precursor to pollution!
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

as a new 'switcher' ( 3 days now and working my way through the missing manuals and figuring out the 'quirks' of a mac) I say welcome aboard, and persevere witht he subtle differences.

I personally think it is unethical of micro$oft to charge people for windows 7 and it was the launch of windows 7 and them asking me for money to essentially provide me with, what in their *opinion* is a *working operating system* that irritated me so much, when windows vista should be *working* in the first place. windows 7 should be FREE with a letter of apology and a bunch of goodies to make up for the sheer horror that it took along for the ride.

as for people who run widows in their macs, well i really don't get that one little bit..i really don't. why not use your windows pc? why on gods green earth would you want that on your mac?!

I still keep my windows PC alongside my mac until it will become organically redundant over time.

i wouldn't say the mac does anything ' better' than my PC so far, but whatever it does do, it does it a zillion times faster and more efficiently and does it in a way that actually makes computing something fun and rewarding rather than a chore.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just bought a MacBook Pro | Triple click on F12 to open dashboard? »