New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I just bought my first Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tattooedfay

tattooedfay is on a distinguished road

I just bought my first Mac. I've been using them at college this past semester, and when I decided I needed a laptop, I decided to go with Mac. I have a few silly questions, if you don't mind, though.

-Can I back up itunes from my old windows PC on to my Mac, so that way I have a copy of my music? How do I do this? I've got my music in a couple different folders on my PC...I need to consolidate them somehow. I've got instruction on how to back up to a cd, an external hard drive, and how to transfer using the ipod, but can't I just use an ethernet cable between the two, and copy that way?

-Do you have any reference sites or books that you recommend for a newbie like me?

-Any concerns with my ipod? It syncs currently to the PC, but I over heard someone say that if they tried to sync their ipod to a Mac, after they've synced it to a PC, that it will wipe the ipod. I don't know the person at all, so they could have been talking out of their bum for all I know, but I was curious as to how that works. I was thinking of using my pc as the back up, and the mac as my "itunes/ipod/iphone home base".

Well, that's it.....for now. I am sure I'll have alot of questions. I don't like feeling like a newb on computers, so I want to get everything settled asap.

Thanks in advance!
-Jo
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

1. If you have a local network at home, you can just copy the files over that.
2. Nope, sorry,
Oh, I suggest mac-forums.com
3. Yes, that is correct. An iPod can only be synced to one computer at a time. Syncing on any computer (Windows or Mac) will wipe it clean of all previous data.

Welcome, I hope this helps!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
tattooedfay

Thanks

One thing about #3, can I swap which computer it syncs too, once I back itunes up on the mac? Or is only syncable to the computer it was first attached to?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596153281): David Pogue, Pogue David: Books

That is very helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
yamawho

yamawho has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Mini late 09 version

Reference the iPod thing ...

iTunes is set to auto sync by default. If you go into preferences and select manual sync, it won't delete the songs. This way you can plug the iPod into different systems without losing songs. Again, this needs to be done on each computer.
QUOTE Thanks
tattooedfay

Thanks folks! I appreciate all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
Zeptogram

Zeptogram is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD

You can edit the library.xml file so that you can read it from OSX and then just bring over the music from your PC on CDs or an external hard drive. LifeHacker has a good how to right here. Hope it helps! (Or you could just copy over the files... That's only if you don't want to make a new library.)

Zep
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

A Google search came up with these two interesting sites.

About.com - Windows Switchers and New Mac Users
Basics4Mac
Switch to a Mac

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home family pc | email help »