New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Best messenger service to combine MSN/AOL in to one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

silverpenguin

I recently purchased a Mac Mini and now do the majority of my surfing on it and just leave the pc upstairs for picture editing etc.

I use MSN and AIM but would like to not have two seperate apps running at once to talk to people. What is the best one out there that will let me combine my contacts from both of these into one?

Thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
New2Macs

New2Macs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6

I use I Chat and it works fine!!!
QUOTE Thanks
silverpenguin

Ah cool, so that lets me use my MSN contacts too then? I did a search on here under iChat and it only mentioned AIM so I wasn't sure.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

IChat does AIM and .Mac which is Apples chat. There are several Free applications that allow you to run all of the major Chat services at the same time. My favorite overall is Adium but there is also Fire that works great too. They will do AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and others.

There is another that I like called Proteus but it's a Pay program. It's farily cheap though, but try Adium and Fire first since they are free.
QUOTE Thanks
silverpenguin

How do I get all my contacts to show using Adium? I just installed it and it has only come up with 1 contact out of about 15 for MSN and none for AIM?!
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

Click on 'View' and then select 'Show Offline Contacts'.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Right now I use Proteus, but I hear that the latest beta of Adium is finally doing things right.. so Im pretty excited to try it out when it becomes stable.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

I used Adium, then used Proteus and I'm back to Adium again. Proteus was good but a bit plain, Adium doesn't do much well but it (can) look **** cool.

QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

I gotta say I've found adium the best IM client I've used ... for me its been stable customisble and pretty.

They have just released v.8rc1 (a Release Candidate) and I've found it stable enough to run as I would a full release

Check the Full Release here : http://www.adiumx.com

and

Check out the beta here : http://www.adiumx.com/beta.html
QUOTE Thanks
silverpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoSharingan
Click on 'View' and then select 'Show Offline Contacts'.
Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ocie

adiumx

anyone knwo how to view file transfers...without opening the console?
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocie
adiumx

anyone knwo how to view file transfers...without opening the console?
Grab a beta
QUOTE Thanks
silverpenguin

It seems ok although everynow and again I get a message come up about people not being part of a group or something and do I want to add them, only does for the same few people.

Also, I can't move the buddy list! If I try to drag it I just pull whichever group heading I grabbed but it springs back when you let go...!?
QUOTE Thanks
fiery

fiery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 3ghz Intel Core i3 OSX 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpenguin
I recently purchased a Mac Mini and now do the majority of my surfing on it and just leave the pc upstairs for picture editing etc.

I use MSN and AIM but would like to not have two seperate apps running at once to talk to people. What is the best one out there that will let me combine my contacts from both of these into one?

Thanks for the help
I like GAIM
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I like GAIM
Adium is based off of the gaim project. The two projects frequently exchange code and ideas from what I hear.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« so glad i switched | What's the best way to get my feet wet? »