Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

any programs to clean up computer?
    hey, are there any programs like AdAware, Spybot, Disk CleanUp and Disk Defragmenter for a PowerBook? i just want to take safety precautions so as not to get any viruses and to keep it running in top shape.

dstyrk
    I recommend you go here and grab Onyx.

You don't need to worry about virus/spy-ware they are a NON issue with Mac's.

thanks

dstyrk
    No problem.

You don't really "need" anything if you leave your computer on all the time. You Mac will run all it's own maintenance between 3-5am. It will optimize (disk defrag) every time you install something new, and I believe when you power down. Don't quote me on the last thing though.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Log off all apps. Then: cron tasks 1. Close all apps 2. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
    2. Type: sudo sh /etc/daily
    Note: Typing "daily" runs tasks normally scheduled for a daily interval. Type "monthly" or "weekly" in place of "daily" to runs tasks scheduled for those intervals.
    3. Press Return.
    4. Enter your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
    5. Quit Terminal when the task is complete. weekly tasks usually require a longer time to run than monthly or daily.
    repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Ok but I think I should delete a few thousand emails. should I empty trash to just let it do the 30 day thing. and what about Outlook sending emails from gmails to trash?

Specs:
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Flash Storage, OS X.12.6.
    2005! This is the biggest zombie we have had as yet?

Barb I opt for under Mail > Preferences > Mail Box Behaviours and select empty aftert one week.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    MBP Retina late 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Sierra; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    2005! This is the biggest zombie we have had as yet?
    It happens, doesn't it, because people search for previous answers to their problem?
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Well, as long as this was revived...

Quote Originally Posted by dstyrk View Post
    You(r) Mac will run all it's own maintenance between 3-5am. It will optimize (disk defrag) every time you install something new, and I believe when you power down. Don't quote me on the last thing though.
    The "automatic optimization" is not flawless, at least not according to TechTool Pro. I optimize 3 to 4 times a year.

Specs:
    iPhone 6s+, MbP 2015, iWatch 2.
    You can use Ccleaner. It's pretty good at getting rid of junk out of your computer.

Specs:
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Flash Storage, OS X.12.6.
    Don't use that PC rubbish on your Mac. Use only Onyx!

Great on PCs, useless on Macs.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+, 2015 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Well, as long as this was revived...

The "automatic optimization" is not flawless, at least not according to TechTool Pro. I optimize 3 to 4 times a year.
    I've used Tech Tool Pro off and on for some time now. I think the automatic optimization and the kind of defragmentation done by Tech Tool Pro seem to be two different things. I know this is an old article but I think it will explain the difference.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    @slydude
    Thanks for the link. I had always thought defragmentation and optimization were synonymous. I suppose TTP's File Optimization is a "defrag" utility, and Disk Optimization takes care of file placement. I run FO first, then DO. And yes, FO finds fragmented files and puts them back together again. It's the Humpty Dumpty segment of TTP.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+, 2015 iMac
    Glad that link helps. I think that is the likely reason some utilities report fragmentation despite Apple's best efforts.

I stopped running defragmentation routines some time ago. For me, the level of fragmentation was usually so low that the small amount of performance improvement that might be gained wasn't worth the lost time. The only time I have run any defragmentation in the last few years is during one attempt to build a Bootcamp partition. The drive had enough total available space to create the partition but the space wasn't contiguous.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    @slydude
    Thanks for the link. I had always thought defragmentation and optimization were synonymous.
    I have a popular Web site that explains the difference between defragmentation and optimization:

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance
    http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

It also explains that the Mac's built-in maintenance routines don't do much of value.

I don't recommend "cleaner" applications because I routinely hear from folks who have had their Macs damaged by them.

The question about anti-virus software comes up constantly. You don't really need anti-virus software for the Macintosh. Check out these videos:

Do Macs Need Anti-Virus Software?
    http://macmost.com/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

also:

How To Protect Your Mac From Malware
    http://macmost.com/how-to-protect-yo...m-malware.html

However, adware is a nuisance on the Macintosh (though it isn't at all malicious), so you may want to download and occasionally run:

MalwareBytes (free)
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information