New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Do hard drives run slow after time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr..nemo

every windows pc ive ever had only lasts me about 2years, the only conclusion i can find is that its because i ram the hard drive with so much stuff, it this true? and can i prevent this with a mac by buying a bigger hard drive therfor putting less stress onto it?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Simply having files on your hard drive won't make your system run slower. The percentage the hard drive is full doesn't affect performance. The problem really is that when you installed apps on a PC, they almost all want to have install a little program that runs in the background, so as you install more programs you keep having more and more things running in the background which really slow you down. OS X disk management is a bit better than Windows in that you won't have to defragment ever.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

thats true, but if you are still worried about the disk performance there are meny disk otimizers from alsoft. (in any case, OS X will optimize your disk after every install)
QUOTE Thanks
Ex_PC_Puke

biggest issue is that the appa and data become fragmented -- need to defrag every few months or so
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

How much data you have on a drive does have an effect on performance. Assuming you have your drive defragmented, If you only have 10% of your drive full, the read/write head does not have to move very far to fetch all your data. If your disk is full, the head must swipe across the entire disk to try to find the data. The less movement, the lower the average seek times, and the quieter the HD will run.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
ocie

hard drive performance degrades as you fill it up. the affects become more pronounced at aroun 10% free, 90% used.
QUOTE Thanks
mr..nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid6eek
How much data you have on a drive does have an effect on performance. Assuming you have your drive defragmented, If you only have 10% of your drive full, the read/write head does not have to move very far to fetch all your data. If your disk is full, the head must swipe across the entire disk to try to find the data. The less movement, the lower the average seek times, and the quieter the HD will run.

So in theory if i have 2 hard drives, 160bg and 250gb both are full about 30% the 250gb will run faster.... and if i had a 400bg that will run even faster
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Yes, if they were the same drives from the same product line. There are other things that make performance differences as well such as spindle speed, catch, NCQ, and interface (SATA vs SATAII).

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RWs | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Sprout

Mr Sprout is on a distinguished road

if hard drives got slower with the more stuff you put on them then they wouldnt make such big hard drives! The problem with pc's is the start-up items that accumulate over the years and their general unreliability means files are damaged over the years making them even more unreliable.

Macs are much better at managing hard drives, they use a better filesystem and have a better operating system. Disk defrags are constant and startup items are few, meaning the macs dont have the same problems as pc's
QUOTE Thanks
Thud

The problem is that all those bits are heavy. Put enough megabytes on a hard drive, and the drive has to spin slower because of the extra weight. Too much data means that some bits will be flung off the drive platters, corrupting data. This is why drives are enclosed in those metal cases-- to prevent potential injury from flying bits. The 0's don't hurt as bad but the 1's are like little splinters.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sprout
if hard drives got slower with the more stuff you put on them then they wouldnt make such big hard drives!
A full 400GB HD would run at the same speed as a full 200GB as the read/write head must sweep the whole drive of both systems. As a HD fills up, it's performance does fall.

Whether or not a feature such as constant disk management makes an OS better is an opinion. Those nice little features may be what causes OS X to be sluggish compared to WinXP....too many things going on in the background. I would much rather have control of what my system is doing, and how it does it. This of course is only my personal preference.

QUOTE Thanks
macEfan

macEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the roughmacEfan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9

Hard Drives mainly get slow because of too much stuff on them. The less free space, the slower the performance. U should defrag the drive as well as check for spyware.

http://spybot.com

( spyware removal tool that works well)
QUOTE Thanks
tootallUK

tootallUK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud
The problem is that all those bits are heavy. Put enough megabytes on a hard drive, and the drive has to spin slower because of the extra weight. Too much data means that some bits will be flung off the drive platters, corrupting data. This is why drives are enclosed in those metal cases-- to prevent potential injury from flying bits. The 0's don't hurt as bad but the 1's are like little splinters.
****... is that why my laptop rattles when shaked VERY vigorously?

I did notice the hard drive had packed up totally and, before fixing it with a hammer, thought that a **** good shake would work.

I'd better put my 250GB back-up drive in a steel box, just in case... :-))
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File/Folder Synchronization apps | PC or MAC »