New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donnation25

donnation25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

Hi all, I have a quick question about Tiger. I have an iMac G5 and a G4 Powerbook and was wondering when I get tiger if I will be able to install it on both or does the software only allow for one install. Thanks, Donnie
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you can install it on both, but thats illegal, when you purchase the retail version of an os, ie tiger, that gives you ONE, and only one license, unless you buy the family pack.
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive

I still a little cloudy. It will let me install it on both, but it is illegal? Does that mean that they both will run Tiger without any problems? If that is the case, how is it being monitored by Apple. Also, how much does the family pack cost?
QUOTE Thanks
WireFire

I dont know about monitoring, but the family pack is/will be 199$
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

it will install and run fine and both, as far as monitoring, I'm not sure, but I think they mat check during updates, the family pack is 5 licenses and is $199. whether it will run or not isn't the question, its illegal to install it on multiple machines when you buy the single license, no two ways about it.
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

Jeez, that kinda sucks. You have to spend all of this money for the equipment (which I do admit is the BEST) but then you gotta blow $199 for the software for 2 of your own computers!! That doesn't seem fair. If you have two computers registered to your name it seems like Apple should let you install the software on both of them without getting into anything legal.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

its totally up to you, its possible to install it on multiple macs, and there's a good chance you won't get caught, but its a personal decision, and is kind of like stealing or pirating a copy of it.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It's no different than Windows licensing. A Windows license is for one machine. A Mac OSX license is for one machine. Fair or not, doesn't matter, those are the terms.

People put in a lot of hard work to make this stuff. They deserve to get paid.

No one is forcing you to upgrade. If the cost is too much or your don't agree with the licensing terms, don't upgrade.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnation25
Jeez, that kinda sucks. You have to spend all of this money for the equipment (which I do admit is the BEST) but then you gotta blow $199 for the software for 2 of your own computers!! That doesn't seem fair. If you have two computers registered to your name it seems like Apple should let you install the software on both of them without getting into anything legal.
Well, the family pack (5 licenses) at least gives you an economy of $58 if you use it for 2 macs. And you still have 3 licenses left (for later Mac purchases). That means, if you install it on 5 Macs (within the same household, of course) each license costs $39.8, which is extremely cheap.
Just consider this: Windows XP Home costs $199 for 1 (one!!) license, and no multi-license possibility.

5 OS X licenses: $199
5 WinXP licenses: $995 (the price of a 12" iBook, including OS X, iLife etc.)

So, do you still think it's expensive? Think again...
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

tbh i dont think that your likely to get caught as there are no serial numbers to compare against but its about your consience and like its been mentioned before its a heck load cheaper when compared with M$

My own personal opinion is that i would install it on both machines to make sure that it runs fine and then get the licences for it. Illegal i know but i hate paying for things that dont work properly/as they should and then for tech support to say "yea were working on that"
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Go get the family pack at amazon with a $50 rebate.. which brings it down to $149.. basically $75 per license if you are just going to use two of them and you'll have 3 left over.
QUOTE Thanks
saus_mo

dont know how legal it is, but you could always get the family pack and sell the other 3 licenses might even make ya self bit of money out of it
QUOTE Thanks
donnation25

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
It's no different than Windows licensing. A Windows license is for one machine. A Mac OSX license is for one machine. Fair or not, doesn't matter, those are the terms.

People put in a lot of hard work to make this stuff. They deserve to get paid.

No one is forcing you to upgrade. If the cost is too much or your don't agree with the licensing terms, don't upgrade.
Jeez, I was just making an observation. No need to get so upset!!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus_mo
dont know how legal it is, but you could always get the family pack and sell the other 3 licenses might even make ya self bit of money out of it
that won't work, the family pack comes with 5 licenses, but one set of discs, you can legally install it on 5 macs, so he'd sell the other licenses and just install it for them and keep the discs, I'm not sure anyone would buy just the license.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus_mo
It does not work that way unfortunately. It is designed to give a cost break for multi-Mac households. It is not a bulk license agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Website
* Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari unstable? | Just switched, quick font question »