New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows Shares - Storing Passwords

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

möbius

So, I connect to windows shares from my mac quite frequently. Is there anyway to actually store the password, so that I don't have to enter it everytime when I log on to the share? I have tried saving it to my keychain, and it actually shows up there, but I still have to enter a password and username everytime.
QUOTE Thanks
möbius

:black: No one here can answer this? I thought you were all a bunch of gurus.
QUOTE Thanks
Avid6eek

Avid6eek is an unknown at this point

I called Mac tech support on this because I actually wanted to Map a network drive on a PC. Wasn't going to happen. Although the Mac OS is a very friendly operating system in general, it isn't a very nice operating system to work on networks. You can't even FTP from the thing w/o getting some 3rd party client.

Desktop Specs: Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 4.0Ghz | Asus P5E X38 Motherboard | 4GB PC8000 DDRII | EVGA GeForce 8800GTX | CL x-Fi Fatal1ty | 4 x Hitachi 73GB 15,000rpm SAS HDs (RAID 0) | Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller | Dual Sony 16X DVD-RW’s | Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Quote:
You can't even FTP from the thing w/o getting some 3rd party client.
you can too , open up the connect to server (Command K) , it'll let you FTP .. you just specify the url e.g. ftp://myftp.adress and so forth , ive done it a few times and it works like a charm .

QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

You can store credentials for connecting to Windows shares in your keychain and if settings are correct you should not get reprompted. I do not know what is wrong in your case, you might confirm the password in the keychain itself and also check the access control settings for the keychain item. I would try removing and then readding it to your keychain.

All I can say for certain is I have Windows shares set up with 3 different Windows servers (office file server, client file server, home file server). Except when I change my passwords I never get prompted.
QUOTE Thanks
djlee12

djlee12 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
You can store credentials for connecting to Windows shares in your keychain and if settings are correct you should not get reprompted. I do not know what is wrong in your case, you might confirm the password in the keychain itself and also check the access control settings for the keychain item. I would try removing and then readding it to your keychain.

All I can say for certain is I have Windows shares set up with 3 different Windows servers (office file server, client file server, home file server). Except when I change my passwords I never get prompted.
In the latest "Macworld" issue, they discussed this problem. They experienced the same problems where the Keychain wouldn't remember the passwords for connecting to windows shares. They reccommend a program called SMB. Check out their site for more information.

DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
www.wattsupproductions.com
QUOTE Thanks
möbius

Well, I figured it out. I just created a user account with the same username and password as my mac. The password stored, and it hasn't prompted me for a password since I entered my mac/windows username and password.
QUOTE Thanks
embries

Another thing that you may not be aware of, but since Windows Server 2003 was released (which now includes Windows XP users who got SP2) the Windows user can reject connections from a stored password. i.e. on the windows end there is an option to disallow saving of the password to the machine on any other machine. This is an option for file sharing, remote desktop, and remote assistance. If you encounter this you may have to turn this feature off on the Windows side.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about memory for my mac | Before I convert... »