New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Wait to Purchase Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

underwhelmed

underwhelmed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook | 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo | 160GB Intel X25-M | 4GB DDR3

I've been seeing more laptops with the Core i7s and saw rumors that the Macbook Pro would be naturally the next to get it. Should I wait to pull the trigger on purchasing one or just go with a laptop that has it already?

REF: Mac OS 10.6.2 Leaks New Core i5/i7 MacBook Pros? - Core i7 macbook pro - Gizmodo
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

This question is asked often.
The year, model and reasons for asking may differ... but the answer is always the same.

Buy Mac Pro now or wait?

Macbook pro, is now teh time?

Mac mini or imac or wait?

Whether to wait or not, and an imac or mini?

Buy now? or wait?

Should I buy Mac Pro today or wait ("old" inventory?)

I need to buy a MacBook Pro. Should I hold off or get it now?

Should I get one now? or wait for Snow Leopard, with potential price drop?

When to Buy?

Should I Wait to Purchase a MacBook?

How long should I wait to purchase?

Buy a Macbook Pro now or wait?

Macbook Decision

Should I buy or should I wait?

Is it a goodtime to buy a macbook pro?

Should I wait to purchase a new ibook?

iBook G4 now, or wait for G5?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
I've been seeing more laptops with the Core i7s and saw rumors that the Macbook Pro would be naturally the next to get it. Should I wait to pull the trigger on purchasing one or just go with a laptop that has it already?
If I had a dollar for every rumor out there that never came true...or at least didn't come true in the timeframe that was suggested...I would be a rich man!!!

You can probably be certain that someday MacBook Pros will have quad-core processors. But how long are you willing to wait...6 months, 1 year, 2, years, 5 years???

I heard rumors 2 years ago that iMac's were getting quad-core processors. Well that didn't happen until less than a month ago...and they only started shipping this week!!!

Food for thought about rumors,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
underwhelmed

underwhelmed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook | 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo | 160GB Intel X25-M | 4GB DDR3

I saw a lot of those posts about when to buy, but I hadn't specifically seen anything about the core i7 or timeframe (which would influence my decision)

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Just keep in mind that switching over to those processor would require a new redesign in some part for the MBP because of the extra space needed, heat and all that. Not sure if apple is willing or wanting to do that just yet after just bringing out this one, and being so proud of making thin and light laptops.

And either way... I would lvoe to have an i7 in my MBP just for the fun of it, but to be honest I do some very heavy work on mine now and this 2.8ghz core 2 due is still perfectly seamless for me.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Unless you are doing processor heavy work, you won't even USE the quad core power. If it's just for everyday work, even medium photo and video processing, a 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo is a badass machine. I have that in my iMac with 8gb RAM and I do my own video work and photo processing without a hitch.

Git'er now!

QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG View Post
Unless you are doing processor heavy work, you won't even USE the quad core power. If it's just for everyday work, even medium photo and video processing, a 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo is a badass machine. I have that in my iMac with 8gb RAM and I do my own video work and photo processing without a hitch.

Git'er now!
EXACTLY!

I do medium work most of the time...and about once or twice a week I do some very heavy stuff....not one problem or lag and I have 4gb of ram...for now. I think that most people really over blow what they think they need. By a long shot.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwhelmed View Post
I saw a lot of those posts about when to buy, but I hadn't specifically seen anything about the core i7 or timeframe (which would influence my decision)

Thanks
Quad-core MacBook Pros could some out in a few months or a few years...it all depends on how long you are willing to wait.

How many people do you think knew that Apple just a month ago was going to release two quad-core iMac models...and who knew that it would include a 27" monitor!!!...not many people!!!

So trying to guess when a MBP will have quad-core processors, and basing a purchase decision on that guess is pointless!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8

Thanks to member 6string for pointing this thread out to me, it has answered the questions I had myself about my upcoming MBP purchase. Im going for it, and biting the bullet in January, and treating myself to the 2.8ghz 17" MBP. From what i have read from other members, this should be powerful enough for my needs. Blogging, writing, and video editing.

Thanks to everyone, I have added to peoples reps
QUOTE Thanks
zigzagler

zigzagler is on a distinguished road

hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyhow I think it's time for me to contribute something back to the community... I just got my MBP 15" a few months back(happy switcher ) via www.azviewer.com/?item=B002C745OQ & I must say it saved me lotsa time monitoring Amazon stock availability coz it alerts me when the stock is available! So for those of you who is thinking of getting your macbook from Amazon over this christmas, you have got to give this site a try...no joke. It'll give you serious advantage over your friends especially when it comes to other limited stock item...

Just my 2 cents..

-Rob-
QUOTE Thanks
Sobe

Sobe will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyfin View Post
Thanks to member 6string for pointing this thread out to me, it has answered the questions I had myself about my upcoming MBP purchase. Im going for it, and biting the bullet in January, and treating myself to the 2.8ghz 17" MBP. From what i have read from other members, this should be powerful enough for my needs. Blogging, writing, and video editing.

Thanks to everyone, I have added to peoples reps

I'm currently 30,000ft in the air on a Delta flight, and my 17" 2.8ghz MBP has been beastly this entire weekend trip.

Oh

And ++ for Free WiFi on Delta flights

I don't support candidates that will say anything to be elected, and avoid answering questions like the plague.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« making the switch to a mac...software question | Sil 3114 - Tiger - G4 PowerMac »