New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My First MacBook Pro Ever ... several questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alkerak

Alkerak is on a distinguished road

Hey

I finally got tired of my crappy Acer Aspire 5315 and decided to switch. I used before a quad core desktop which I assembled myself, but since I left country, left it as an office machine for my father.
I ordered one week ago, a MacBook Pro, 17 inch, standard configuration plus Matte Display. It came pretty cheap at 1.600 euros due to my university card plus an english office license.

I have several questions ...

1)

On the Dutch AppStore I get this ...

Verzonden op: Nov 5, 2009
Verwachte leverdatum: 13 Nov, 2009 – 16 Nov, 2009

If I click on “Volg deze zending”

I get this …

Shipped to XXX, NL 05 Nov 2009
Estimated Delivery Date (Subject to change) 16 Nov 2009 (Subject to change)
Current Delivery Status In Transit to Customer – Shipment on Schedule 09 Nov 2009
Signed by

Today is 9′th, was expecting a change, to get the UPS number or TNT number, however I still have blasted criptic message

Merge In Tnst NL Til

I order the MacBook Pro + Microsoft Office Student Edition English version. Maybe should have dropped the Office … Will it arrive on the 16′th?

2) When it arrives, do I need to charge it fully? Or I can just plug it in and enjoy?

3) Will it have Snow Leopard installed by default?

4) What kind of games will I be looking forward to run on Windows or Mac OS X on my new MacBook Pro

Oh ... and the wait is so painfully long ...
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

1) Can't answer that myself - sorry
2) Plug it in and start using it.
3) It will either have SL pre-installed or Leopards installed and all you will have to do is upgrade using the SL disc that will be in the box. I'm betting SL will be installed already.
4) Loads of games available for Mac and Windows. Just Google!
QUOTE Thanks
Alkerak

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
1) Can't answer that myself - sorry
2) Plug it in and start using it.
3) It will either have SL pre-installed or Leopards installed and all you will have to do is upgrade using the SL disc that will be in the box. I'm betting SL will be installed already.
4) Loads of games available for Mac and Windows. Just Google!
OMG, they are preparing it to give it to the final carrier. Im gonna have it soon

So, the SL disk is in the box then. Ok, good to know. Can the SL disk be used on my roomate 13 inch MacBook Pro? I mean ... is it legal?

I know there are many games for mac. This was not my question. My question is if my Macbook Pro can handle those games, or do I need something stronger like a quad core etc.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Illegal and no it won't work anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

The computer will most likely already have Snow Leopard installed on the computer. You will get disks but it will be disks for you to restore your computer and is only for that machine.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Can SL be used to upgrade the 13" - legally, no - your license for use of SL does not apply to a second persons computer. I'll leave that one alone there Besides - if he's got the 13" MBP, he has Leopard on it, and it's only $29 to upgrade to SL, so we're not talking major investment here...

Can it handle games - yes. The 17" standard config you got - assuming you bought a brand new one, is a 2.8 GHz C2D, 4 Gig ram, 9600M GT. I have a friend whom I had sold my previous gaming laptop to - a MSI 2.4 GHz that can OC to 2.8 GHz, 9600mGT GPU, 15" and he plays COD4, Left4Dead (1 and 2) and quite a few other games on it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't on that macbook - you may not be able to do full rez (you'll have to test) and some games will work better in windows then on OSX (this can occur on games originally made for windows later ported to OSX - ie: on my mac pro, I have the OSX and windows version of COD4 - I get 2-4x the framerate on the windows side then I do on the OSX side - but this is due to the way the game was ported from windows)

Enjoy your new lappy!

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

check out MacHeist nanoBundle within the next two days and you can get your first Mac game (not counting chess) free
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

As you are switching this might help Switchers Guide: Moving from Windows to the Mac | Business Center | Macworld
QUOTE Thanks
Alkerak

Heh, it's still blocked on "Preparing shipment for final carrier" ...
Thanks for the tips guys anyways, im going to grab today a magic mouse in expectation :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple store workshops | Upgrade from Tiger to Leopard Questions »