New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I get external hard drive to work with new macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yes...I know I'm still knew at this mac thing...so I do apologize for what probably is a repeat question! I did see the post about something similar to this but it didn't exactly answer my questions.

Anyway guys...

I'm a recent pc to mac user (and loving every single second of it!), and I just bought an external hard drive which says on the box that it does work with both windows and mac OS. When I put the usb in to my windows to get everything that I wanted off it, it worked just fine. Right clicked on the file I wanted to transfer, sent it to the drive and so on.

But when I plugged it in to my mac, I get the drive icon on my desktop and have no idea what to do next, or even if I some how have to format the two in sort of way.

What do I have to do to get it save everything I want on my mac? And how do I got about saving it in the first place??

I have the most current version of snow leopard if that matters at all.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Mate not Mac savvy enuf yet myself to go into formatting. As far as too say that the HDD should be formatted in Mac OS Extended.

You can do all this HD>Applications>Disk Utility and then click on your External HD

If its all set up the way it should be it just a matter of going into Time Machine ( OS back up program) and simply restoring whats on the HD.

Hope that helps in a way.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If it sees the drive then that would be a good thing.

Have you tried double click the drive to see what's in there?

If every file from your PC is there, then you are in good shape.

All you have to do now is make a folder on your Mac Desktop and drag everything from the drive into the folder.

Pretty much the same process when you are on a Mac. It's just drag and drop.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

Thanks so much for the responses guys!

Ok I have the bringing files off of the drive to my mac down....but how do I transfer files from my mac to the external drive properly? Mind you that this is not a time capsule but another (and much cheaper!) brand I just picked up at best buy. 350GB if that matters at all.

Again, thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Drag whatever files you want ontop of the drive on the desktop and let go.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Drag whatever files you want ontop of the drive on the desktop and let go.
You ever have those moments where you just feel like a dumb a**?? Yep...having that now

Thank you!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Newbie having Mail Trouble...help? | root user help »