New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Transferring ipods to a new mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazypotatos

crazypotatos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD

I don't have a new mac yet, but I'm going to be getting one (hopefully before the new year).

I have a first gen iPod touch and a 4th gen nano. They are both registered on my current PC. How am I going to transfer them over to the new Mac? Not necessarily the music and video files, but the iPods.

I have had trouble with this when I switched to a new computer or when I had to restore my system. I don't remember how to do it, and I couldn't really search for it since I don't know what it would be called.

Thanks for you help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

They should hook up without problems. As for music, well there are several ways to put it on the new machine, but you already know how to do that.

You just plug it in to the machine, and Mac OS X will open up iTunes, and iTunes should ask you if you want it to erase the old data from the other iTunes library and sync it with the new library. I've never heard of any problems concerning iPod connectivity with a new Mac.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
They should hook up without problems. As for music, well there are several ways to put it on the new machine, but you already know how to do that.

You just plug it in to the machine, and Mac OS X will open up iTunes, and iTunes should ask you if you want it to erase the old data from the other iTunes library and sync it with the new library. I've never heard of any problems concerning iPod connectivity with a new Mac.
Could you actually explain how to transfer the files? LOL The way i was thinking was barrowing my friends USB hardrive and putting the files on that then just plugging it into the mac. Or I would try using Home Sharing.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypotatos View Post
Could you actually explain how to transfer the files? LOL The way i was thinking was barrowing my friends USB hardrive and putting the files on that then just plugging it into the mac. Or I would try using Home Sharing.
Both ways will work. Although why don't you have your own external HDD? It's a must have for everyone that owns a computer. You never know when your HDD is going to crash/fail on you.
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Both ways will work. Although why don't you have your own external HDD? It's a must have for everyone that owns a computer. You never know when your HDD is going to crash/fail on you.
Cuz im in middle school and Im saving up for a mac. Plus my hard drive is only like a month old. And I do have it backed up on my other drive in my desktop. Once I do get my mac I plan on investing in a time capsule since my wifi sucks in my room and I want a external hd.

QUOTE Thanks
oneijose

oneijose is on a distinguished road

Hey Crazypotatos. I'm new to macs too. I just recently bought one and I found a nice and Free program u might want to look into. It was very easy to use as well. I had an old 80Gig Ipod full to the max with music and this is how i was able to transfer all my songs.

Pod to Mac - Free iPod, iPhone Music Transfer Software
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

My mother gave me her old ipod, and I think when I tried to put my own music on it, itunes told me it was registered to a different computer and asked me to register it on mine... it's fairly simple and most things you should be able to find on the net... I even found a prog called ipod disk that shows your ipod like it's a folder in finder...

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Quote:
I don't have a new mac yet, but I'm going to be getting one (hopefully before the new year).

I have a first gen iPod touch and a 4th gen nano. They are both registered on my current PC. How am I going to transfer them over to the new Mac? Not necessarily the music and video files, but the iPods.

I have had trouble with this when I switched to a new computer or when I had to restore my system. I don't remember how to do it, and I couldn't really search for it since I don't know what it would be called.
When you get the new computer you are going to have to "Authorize Computer" for your iTunes account under the Store menu in iTunes. This will let you use your iPods on your new computer but not keep the songs or video etc. Those you will have to do like you are thinking: either USB/HDD or home network sharing. Good luck.

@ oneijose - That program seems pretty useful once; going to a new computer. Other than that I can't think of much use for it because once your iPod/iPhone etc. is hooked up to the new computer, how else do you put music in it besides iTunes? Thus, the songs will already be in iTunes and you won't need that program. I can see it being very useful, if it works as I think it does, for that one time swap though.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Quote:
Cuz im in middle school and Im saving up for a mac. Plus my hard drive is only like a month old. And I do have it backed up on my other drive in my desktop. Once I do get my mac I plan on investing in a time capsule since my wifi sucks in my room and I want a external hd.
I'm in middle school too. What grade are you in?

You can also use a SETA drive with an adapter to connect to USB. Cheaper and probably easier, it's what I plan to do (as soon as my dad gets the adapter).

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

crazypotatos, here's what I would suggest doing:

Once you get your new Mac, make sure your iPod is synced with the current PC it's registered to, that way you know all your music on it is up-to-date. Once you get your new Mac set up, download and use a program called Senuti (iTunes spelled backwards). This simple program will allow you to copy music OFF of your iPod to your new Mac. Just be sure that you don't register your iPod with your new Mac BEFORE you copy over your data. Once everything is copied and working in iTunes on the Mac, register your iPod to the new Mac and it will format and re-sync it.

If you somehow manage to screw this up, look on the bright side, you still have everything backed up on your old PC!
QUOTE Thanks
oneijose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
When you get the new computer you are going to have to "Authorize Computer" for your iTunes account under the Store menu in iTunes. This will let you use your iPods on your new computer but not keep the songs or video etc. Those you will have to do like you are thinking: either USB/HDD or home network sharing. Good luck.

@ oneijose - That program seems pretty useful once; going to a new computer. Other than that I can't think of much use for it because once your iPod/iPhone etc. is hooked up to the new computer, how else do you put music in it besides iTunes? Thus, the songs will already be in iTunes and you won't need that program. I can see it being very useful, if it works as I think it does, for that one time swap though.
Exactly. The program is very useful once for some. LOL. I actually have 3 ipods (Itouch, Nano and 80G) they all had diff music and My Old PC crashed and lost all my music. That's why my wife gave me a mac for fathers day. So now i had 3 ipods and i couldn't sync them to itune cause i was going to lose everything. So i found this program and it worked great. I was able to import all my music that i lost. For me it wont be a one time use. My friend is a dj so i get allot of music from him and instead of him burning a cd now i just hook up his Ipod to my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

That's a pretty clever use I think. I was just thinking if my friend had a song I liked, I would just download it and put it on my iPhone or w/e but that works too.

@ todd51 Nice suggestion I just hope he can follow it lol.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
oneijose

Here is the walkthrough:

Pod to Mac - Support

BTW I really like this site!LOL
QUOTE Thanks
crazypotatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneijose View Post
Hey Crazypotatos. I'm new to macs too. I just recently bought one and I found a nice and Free program u might want to look into. It was very easy to use as well. I had an old 80Gig Ipod full to the max with music and this is how i was able to transfer all my songs.

Pod to Mac - Free iPod, iPhone Music Transfer Software
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
My mother gave me her old ipod, and I think when I tried to put my own music on it, itunes told me it was registered to a different computer and asked me to register it on mine... it's fairly simple and most things you should be able to find on the net... I even found a prog called ipod disk that shows your ipod like it's a folder in finder...
Thanks
Quote:

So have you tried home sharing? I think I will be doing that since its over wifi and I don't have to barrow the HD from my friend who is like anti mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
I'm in middle school too. What grade are you in?

You can also use a SETA drive with an adapter to connect to USB. Cheaper and probably easier, it's what I plan to do (as soon as my dad gets the adapter).
Eh..

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
crazypotatos, here's what I would suggest doing:

Once you get your new Mac, make sure your iPod is synced with the current PC it's registered to, that way you know all your music on it is up-to-date. Once you get your new Mac set up, download and use a program called Senuti (iTunes spelled backwards). This simple program will allow you to copy music OFF of your iPod to your new Mac. Just be sure that you don't register your iPod with your new Mac BEFORE you copy over your data. Once everything is copied and working in iTunes on the Mac, register your iPod to the new Mac and it will format and re-sync it.

If you somehow manage to screw this up, look on the bright side, you still have everything backed up on your old PC!
Thanks

Quote:
Exactly. The program is very useful once for some. LOL. I actually have 3 ipods (Itouch, Nano and 80G) they all had diff music and My Old PC crashed and lost all my music. That's why my wife gave me a mac for fathers day. So now i had 3 ipods and i couldn't sync them to itune cause i was going to lose everything. So i found this program and it worked great. I was able to import all my music that i lost. For me it wont be a one time use. My friend is a dj so i get allot of music from him and instead of him burning a cd now i just hook up his Ipod to my mac.
Quote:
That's a pretty clever use I think. I was just thinking if my friend had a song I liked, I would just download it and put it on my iPhone or w/e but that works too.

@ todd51 Nice suggestion I just hope he can follow it lol.
Thanks
Quote:
Here is the walkthrough:

Pod to Mac - Support

BTW I really like this site!LOL
Thanks

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iLife programs slow to open..... | To VMFUSION not to VMFusion »