New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

To VMFUSION not to VMFusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I know that yall said to VMFusion was one of the better software to run Windows inside of a MAC, well I love my macbook but i really havent gotten to get into it to deeply I still primarly use my PC mostly for Work, and gamming at home, Iam trying to use my MB alot more though, long story short is there are a couple of Windows apps I need on my laptop Radmin being one for work, but I heard there is an upgrade coming out for VMFusion at the end of the month the upgrade will cost 40 bucks, would it be wise to wait for the new version to come out and just buy that at retail will it still be 80 bucks? Or will the update be even worth buying?

Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Just use Bootcamp it's much smoother and will run windows just like on a PC you won't even notice you're on a Mac besides the fact that Mac runs windows smoother than any PC I've ever been on. I'm not sure about the VMF upgrade you are talking about. I would switch to using Bootcamp though. I use it and I love this MBP.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

An upgrade license for VMWare Fusion 3 (to be released October 27) is available to customers that already own a version of VMWare Fusion and will cost 39.99. A new license for the product will cost 79.99.

Be the first to get VMware Fusion 3
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

But look for discounts for VMware Fusion. Nobody pays retail...
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Ugh. $80 for VMWare huh? I think I've seen it cheaper at Best Buy.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Quote:
Ugh. $80 for VMWare huh? I think I've seen it cheaper at Best Buy.
Yeah, good point. I have seen Parallels bundled sometimes with other software deals. I am sure if you search around enough you wouldn't have to take the 80 dollar hit.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hey guys, VirtualBox is still free.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

But how well does Virtualbox run? I really dont want to do Bootcamp just cause I really dont want to have to boot back n forth from on OS to the Other if its something quick i need, mostly they only reason i will need windows on it, is for work and its nothing graphic entensive. I still have a PC as my primary home desktop, as I am still trying to find time to dive deeper into my MB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

VirtualBox works well. Not as sophisticated or frilly as Fusion or Parallels, but it's getting better with each version. Now at 3.0.8. Give it a try - nothing to lose but some time.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
VirtualBox works well. Not as sophisticated or frilly as Fusion or Parallels, but it's getting better with each version. Now at 3.0.8. Give it a try - nothing to lose but some time.

Regards.
Agreed.

I've recently switched to VirtualBox and couldn't be happier.

On my MacBook it seems to startup, run and shutdown faster than Fusion or Parallels. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I just use it for the odd app I've not been able to replace under OSX.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

chscag beat me to it! I second VirtualBox.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Quote:
Just use Bootcamp it's much smoother and will run windows just like on a PC you won't even notice you're on a Mac besides the fact that Mac runs windows smoother than any PC I've ever been on.
With Bootcamp you are using EITHER Windows or the Mac - with VMFusion, Parallels or VirtualBox you have both machines at the same time and (at least in the case of VMF, which I use) switching from the Windows machine to the Mac is just a matter of pressing a key - and I'm using both systems simultaneously practically all the time.

Having said that - if I'd heard about it at the time, I'd have given VirtualBox a try, since others seem to find it works fine.

Check out this VMware: Team Fusion: VMware Fusion 3 “The Best Way to Run Windows on the Mac” Coming October 27th for what's new in VMF 3 - specifically optimised for Snow Leopard and capable of launching Windows 7
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I like VMfusion better than anything. I don't like Bootcamp as you have to reboot just to get to windows. The good thing about VMFusion is that you can run just about any OS through it. The web site even has preloaded appliances (Linux or other type free OSs). I like the ability to just switch to the desktop that has VMfusion on it and run what I have to for work and then jump back to OSX. I don't do anything graphic intensive but for everyday surfing and office apps it works for what I need. If you know somebody that is a student or a teacher you can get an educators discount at some of the online stores that sell it. I got my copy for about 35 bucks as my wife is a teacher. Good luck.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring ipods to a new mac? | what do you recommend? »