New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

wanting a mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marcus Miller

Marcus Miller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: none

i actually do not have a mac. i really want one, but am not completely for sure. i wanted to ask some questions.

1. is the price worth it?
2. laptop with cinema display, or imac?
3. could i maybe get a better deal for one with basically the same specs?
4. is there much of a difference between a 2.66 or a 2.8 prcessor?
5. if i get a laptop macbookpro or macbook?

im sorry if this is the wrong thread for this part of the forums. im new to the forums

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Hi welcome to the forum, to answer your questions...

1. Yes oh yes!!
2. totally up to you... you want mobility, take the laptop. If you don't, the iMac is a beauty.
3. better than what?
4. not much, just the HD and GPU
5. up to you... recommend the Pro

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
i actually do not have a mac. i really want one, but am not completely for sure. i wanted to ask some questions.

im sorry if this is the wrong thread for this part of the forums. im new to the forums

thank you
1) You betcha
2) If you need a laptop, then get the MacBook Pro; non mobility, iMac
3) Price is price for the same specs at Apple. You won't find a better deal without discounts, see your local Apple store.
4) Not really. There are different hardware configurations however.
5) See number two for my answer on this one.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

To answer #1:

I recall that for about a year before I bought mine if I saw someone using a Mac in public (usually in a Starbucks, go figure!) I would ask if they liked it. I always got the same answer: "I love it." Not "It is great" or "Yes I do," but "I love it." I realized pretty quickly I was on to something.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn View Post
To answer #1:

I recall that for about a year before I bought mine if I saw someone using a Mac in public (usually in a Starbucks, go figure!) I would ask if they liked it. I always got the same answer: "I love it." Not "It is great" or "Yes I do," but "I love it." I realized pretty quickly I was on to something.
A majority of the time when you ask someone this question, of course they're going to say they like it...or give you a positive response. You also don't know if it's their first Macintosh or their 10th! If it's their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Macintosh...well they're a "Mac Person" of course they like it!

Why else would someone spend $1000-$1500+ on a computer...and then admit to complete strangers..."Yeah...I just spent $1500 bucks on this thing, and I hate it. What a Jack-As* I am for buying it!"

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
A majority of the time when you ask someone this question, of course they're going to say they like it...or give you a positive response. You also don't know if it's their first Macintosh or their 10th! If it's their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. Macintosh...well they're a "Mac Person" of course they like it!

Why else would someone spend $1000-$1500+ on a computer...and then admit to complete strangers..."Yeah...I just spent $1500 bucks on this thing, and I hate it. What a Jack-As* I am for buying it!"

- Nick
I know you were joking about the last bit, but my friend does admit that he is a jack bleep for buying an Alienware gaming notebook for well over 2 grand.

I told him not to but he doesn't like to listen to reason. I don't relish in the fact that I could have said, "I told you so."
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
1. The best $1K I have ever spent, and probably will ever spend.

2. It's up to you, but if you have the money and want a good sized external monitor for your MB or MBP, go for the cinema display. If not, other monitors can be used. I am using a Dell 1503FP monitor along with my MacBook. If you don't need a laptop (to take with you on trips, etc.) then the iMac will be an excellent choice.

3. As Chris H. said, if you got a discount, you could get a better deal. But don't worry, you won't regret spending that money.

4. Not a noticeable difference when doing simple tasks like browsing or listening to music, but if you are rendering videos or audio you may notice a slight difference.

5. Depends on what you want, or what kind of work you are doing. If you are just wanting a computer to have for light tasks, the MacBook should be fine. But if you want a game or two, or using power intensive software, the MacBook Pro will do.

Good luck on your future purchase!

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbohn View Post
To answer #1:

No more virus or spies to fight...you can Love it too!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I know you were joking about the last bit, but my friend does admit that he is a jack bleep for buying an Alienware gaming notebook for well over 2 grand.

I told him not to but he doesn't like to listen to reason. I don't relish in the fact that I could have said, "I told you so."
Yes but remember this was your friend...and since he is your friend you both know each other well enough to be honest with each other. So if one of you makes an expensive purchase that afterwards you feel wasn't such a good idea..you can be honest and admit it to your friend.

But when some stranger in a Starbucks out of the blue asks you how you like your Mac...most people will try to stay positive & say something positive (even if they actually feel differently)...which is the situation I was mainly commenting on above.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Quote:

1. Yes, waaaaaaayy yes.
2. I would go with laptop because I know the iMac can have a stronger GPU maybe but I have a MBP and I have been able to run any game so far very flawlessly. It's also portable when you need it to be.
3. Not sure what you mean but there's no deals unless you buy refurb or used.
4. Not really unless you do heavy image editing or video processing maybe you would notice.
5. MacBook Pro, I got one and yes I love it. I wouldn't trade this for any kind of PC.

You will not be disappointed with Apple. They have very good customer service if you ever need to call or go into the Apple Store and their products just work without needing other programs or much configuring. The only thing you need to do when you first start the Mac up is put your name and address and off you go!

P.S. - pigoo3 how/why do you/have you have/had 25 Macs? That's pretty insane to me lol.
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Why 'bleep' on *******? It is simply the male ***, also know simply as a 'jack' - it's got nothing to do with Jack's rear end :-)
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

There you go - the stupid software doesn't have a dictionary either!
QUOTE Thanks
southchatham

southchatham is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 macbook, 2009 mac mini

Ditto with the fact that you must decide if you want a desktop or laptop first. Having said that I get tired of hearing the low end ( white macbook) is for light tasks. A laptop with a celeron or athlon chip is for light tasks. The white macbook is a core2 duo. The white macbook will do anything the macbook pro (excluding the ones with dedicated graphics) will and is not for light tasks. Are their reasons to get the pro, yes. Looks, battery life, etc. But I don't believe performance or function is one.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
Why 'bleep' on *******? It is simply the male ***, also know simply as a 'jack' - it's got nothing to do with Jack's rear end :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
There you go - the stupid software doesn't have a dictionary either!
Umm....what?
QUOTE Thanks
Marcus Miller

Marcus Miller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
Umm....what?
yea wtf?

and thank you guys im gonna go with a macbook pro 2.66. and i will get anoter monitor another time.

first mac can't wait
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "The volume for 'Untitled CD' cannot be found" | My switching Experience »