New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

comparing performance, windows and mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wannabeartist

wannabeartist is on a distinguished road

Hi!

I just purchased my first Mac(!) - I've googling in order to find something to test the performance on my new computer and compare it to my windows pc, but it's seems a little hard to find.

So is there a program for doing that? At least 3dMark seems to be only for Windows, so that wont work - are there any alternatives that would work on Mac also? I specifically would like a program that runs both on Snow Leopard and Vista.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

You can try Geekbench. Primate Labs Geekbench
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, if you bought the Mac, why would you even want to compare performance? You must already think it's better. Solely based upon boot-up time, I can tell you that I can boot up and shut down the MacBook 8 times in a row in the time it takes my PC to boot up once. I already know it's better.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Not really sure what you are trying to achieve here.

Is your Mac hardware and your PC hardware exactly the same ?
Without knowing your PC and Mac setup, I can tell you they are different.
On top of that the OS is different.

It is a totally useless exercise but it might give you confidence that you made the right choice ... or not depending on the outcome :-)

You can only compare Apples with Apples

Don't worry so much and enjoy your Mac !

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

While we all know you can't judge a computers performance based on boot/start/shutdown time , I too am curious as to the reason for your post.
You haven't mentioned what "your Mac" is yet you want to run 3DMarc agianst what may be a bottom line MacBook to compare what a gtx9800 ? Really I don't believe you are looking to compare but prove a point.
If I am wrong then I appoligize and say welcome. I just don't think I am.
QUOTE Thanks
wannabeartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
You can only compare Apples with Apples

Don't worry so much and enjoy your Mac !

Cheers ... McBie

Hah! That's good one

I'm simply interested in seeing how my new Mac compares to my PC in terms of 3D performance, not trying to find out which one is "better".

I want to know this, because I do quite a bit of modeling work on my free time and while I didn't buy the Mac for that purpose, it would be nice to know how fast exactly it is compared to my desktop PC.

Thanks for S.SubZero for the link, I will try that out.
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeartist View Post
Hah! That's good one

I'm simply interested in seeing how my new Mac compares to my PC in terms of 3D performance, not trying to find out which one is "better".

I want to know this, because I do quite a bit of modeling work on my free time and while I didn't buy the Mac for that purpose, it would be nice to know how fast exactly it is compared to my desktop PC.

Thanks for S.SubZero for the link, I will try that out.
Use it for a while. You'll get a pretty good feeling for how the Mac's speed compares with the PC's speed. Especially for tasks you do every day.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Hah! That's good one

Of course you're trying to see which one is "better" or faster. What else would be the point of doing the comparison??

If your new Mac is faster...then you'll be pleased...and if it's not faster, you won't be pleased.

Otherwise there really is no point to the pursuit!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I use similar applications on each machine doing real work. It shows me which system is the fastest at any given task. I really don't trust benchmarks to show me which system does my work the quickest.
QUOTE Thanks
wannabeartist

@pigoo3

Alright, let me rephrase that: I'm not trying to find out which is "better" as a computer, because they are used for different purposes.

I don't think I would have bought the most modest of the macbooks, if I wanted to use it for serious animation/modeling - no laptop is generally used for that. It has nothing do with the fact that other is a PC and the other a Mac.

In fact, the reason why I got interested in the performance difference in the first place was the fact that my Mac seems surprisingly fast considering it's graphics card.

@mbohn, dtravis7

I guess you are right, using the applications will show the difference if there's any. I just wanted a quick overview of what kind of performance to expect, if I install something like ZBrush on my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
In fact, the reason why I got interested in the performance difference in the first place was the fact that my Mac seems surprisingly fast considering it's graphics card.
I agree with you...the low end MacBooks are pretty good! In fact I have a low end MacBook as part of my collection!

But asking about performance is really relative. You're really not going to know what your MacBook can do until you ask it to do it. So speculating on what it "might" be able to do for some yet unknown task or tasks in the future is really kind of futile.

If you're truly interested in what your MacBook can do...identify a task then do it. Or if you have a piece of software you want to run on it, check out the system requirements. If your MacBook meets the requirements...most likely it will perform them.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Quote:
Hah! That's good one

If you are using Geekbench, it will not tell you graphic performance as it only tests processes and memory performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Let's start with what video card is in each of your machines. Knowing the specific models should help us get started in figuring out which graphics card is faster.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone help me out with streaming radio? | Easy instructions to run windows »