New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How much of a MBP would I need?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
soccerphysio

 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2008
Posts: 154
soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

soccerphysio is offline
I will be purchasing a 13" MBP within the next couple of weeks, but not sure how much, if any, I should upgrade. I am looking to keep it as cheap as possible to keep my wife off my back (she has a crappy HP laptop).

I will use the MBP almost exclusively for internet, email, and giving presentations using PowerPoint. The base 13in comes with a 2.23MHz, 2GB, 160 GB hard drive. Would there be any need for me to upgrade any of those specs, and if so, which ones?

As always, thanks for all of the great advice you guys give!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

 
Jaygray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 1,115
Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Jaygray is offline
You'll be perfectly happy with it just the way it comes. Don't do a thing.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
I agree with Jaygray's advice above me. I think that will be MORE than enough for your purposes.

Only, I am really against PowerPoint as a tool to give presentations. I personally use Keynote to do my presentations, and it is part of the iWork package. If you've ever watched a Keynote presentation at any Apple event, you'd know what Keynote is capable of. Check it out at the Apple website and see if you like the idea of giving really professional and beautiful looking presentations. If you do intend to get it, you'd have to buy the license for iWork as well as getting an adaptor for your Macbook.

Of course, if you don't really need all the fancy stuff, what you do now is way more than enough.
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2008
Posts: 154
soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

soccerphysio is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I agree with Jaygray's advice above me. I think that will be MORE than enough for your purposes.

Only, I am really against PowerPoint as a tool to give presentations. I personally use Keynote to do my presentations, and it is part of the iWork package. If you've ever watched a Keynote presentation at any Apple event, you'd know what Keynote is capable of. Check it out at the Apple website and see if you like the idea of giving really professional and beautiful looking presentations. If you do intend to get it, you'd have to buy the license for iWork as well as getting an adaptor for your Macbook.

Of course, if you don't really need all the fancy stuff, what you do now is way more than enough.
I thought about switching to keynote, but had too many of my sports medicine presentations already on PP, and it would take quite a long time to switch over.

What type of an adaptor are you referring to?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

 
Chris H.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 2,603
Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Chris H. is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
I thought about switching to keynote, but had too many of my sports medicine presentations already on PP, and it would take quite a long time to switch over.

What type of an adaptor are you referring to?

Actually it won't take much time at all to open up .ppt files in Keynote. It's .pptx you should be worried about. As for the adaptor, he means getting one that will adapt from the MacBook's mini DVI port to VGA, which if I'm not mistaken, is the universal input for monitors outside of Apple's realm, as well as some video projectors. Am I right?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB3
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2008
Posts: 154
soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

soccerphysio is offline
Thanks Chris -- I thought he was referring to an adaptor and Keynote, which really threw me off! I do anticipate playing around with Keynote, but was not aware that I could import (if that is the right term) the PP presentations directly into it. How would I do that?

And one follow up question to my original posting...has anyone purchased the 13" MBP and regrets not splurging for the 15"?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,606
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
I am looking to keep it as cheap as possible to keep my wife off my back (she has a crappy HP laptop).
I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're looking to keep things as cheap as possible, why not consider:

A refurbished MacBook for $849:

Refurbished MacBook 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White - Apple Store (U.S.)

Always remember...if buying refurbished...the stock can change by the day or the hour.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

 
Member Since: Apr 17, 2008
Posts: 154
soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

soccerphysio is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're looking to keep things as cheap as possible, why not consider:

A refurbished MacBook for $849:

Refurbished MacBook 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White - Apple Store (U.S.)

Always remember...if buying refurbished...the stock can change by the day or the hour.

HTH,

- Nick
Thanks Nick -- I don't have to worry about going that cheap, and "cheap" probably isn't the right term for me to use anyway. I guess I just need to make sure I'm not buying more than I really need, which I tend to have a habit of doing. An ideal price range is around $1200-1400.

I am hesitant about going the refurb route on a laptop. I have purchased 2 refurb iMacs over the past year, and have been very satisfied (my first came with a bad drive, and was replaced without any hassles). But not sure of doing the same with a laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

 
Member Since: Mar 31, 2008
Posts: 385
PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

PsYkOoOoO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
Thanks Chris -- I thought he was referring to an adaptor and Keynote, which really threw me off! I do anticipate playing around with Keynote, but was not aware that I could import (if that is the right term) the PP presentations directly into it. How would I do that?

And one follow up question to my original posting...has anyone purchased the 13" MBP and regrets not splurging for the 15"?
The thing about Keynote is that it can open everything from PPT to PPTX, to Keynote itself of course. You can also export your Keynote presentations into various different formats, like PPT, PDF, Quicktime, Images, HTML, or directly onto your iPod!

I highly recommend Keynote because of the flexibility involved in the presentation slides, the ability to create beautiful looking presentations, the EASE OF USE is a big factor for me, and the fact that it opens pretty much any file time thrown at it. My girlfriend learned Keynote in about a day of playing around with it, and Keynote made me fall in love with making presentations.

iWork costs, and so does the adaptor. I feel, though, that it is really worth it! I also use Pages, and I also prefer that over Microsoft Words. Numbers is probably the only application in the iWork package that I don't use, but that's because I don't need to do spreadsheets and stuff.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Recommendation for a good set of speakers ? | terminal command with password »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Just bought MBP.... dsantsche Apple Notebooks 9 08-08-2009 11:06 PM
13" MBP 2.26 GHz + Intel's SSD X-25 2nd Gen (34nm) vs 15" MBP 2.66GHz nightwind Apple Notebooks 4 07-26-2009 11:11 AM
Transfer HDD from White MacBook to new MBP garfield0368 Apple Notebooks 1 07-16-2009 05:00 AM
Upgrading: Which MBP will give me significant speed boosts? IAmBen Apple Notebooks 1 06-17-2009 02:58 PM
Dud bluetooth causing issues in new mbp?? mike518 Apple Notebooks 0 03-23-2007 04:29 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?