New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Uninstalling programmes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madamepomme

madamepomme is on a distinguished road

Hi

I am a newbie and who was a windows user of nearly 10 years. so however my Macbook pro 13 inch is great, I am having difficulties.

My first question is: after installing a program, if i want to remove it what should i do? I searched System Preferences but couldn't see anything.

Second one is: When I run a application it delivers a white file to my desktop. Than it disappears and sometimes i delete it. This white file means what?

Third one and the least (for now) : After letting macbook 1 or 2 minutes to its own, desktop light runs low all of a sudden. I tried to change that from the energy saver preferences but it keeps working as the same. thanks from now.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day madam and welcome to the forums.

1. If the program/application comes with an uninstaller use that.

2. Download a utility such as AppTrap, install, and simply drag the program/application to the trash and AppTrap removes all subsidiary files, extensions etc. Empty Trash.

3. The white file is simply an alias of the program/application that has been installed.

4. Depends on what the program was. Sometimes may be in Applications, or Utilities.

5. Not a laptop user however seems to be a way of conserving power.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

1. If the program comes with an uninstaller, use that. If it doesn't, you can simply drag it to the Trash.

2. Can I assume that you are talking about the icon at the bottom of this picture? If so, it is a disk image. Many Mac applications come in a disk image, which is mounted as a virtual disk (what that icon represents). There is no need to know the details - simply copy what you need and drag it to the Trash (which becomes the eject symbol) which will eject the disk image.

3. In the Energy Saver Preferences, the check I think you're looking for is "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep".

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
madamepomme

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day madam and welcome to the forums.

1. If the program/application comes with an uninstaller use that.

2. Download a utility such as AppTrap, install, and simply drag the program/application to the trash and AppTrap removes all subsidiary files, extensions etc. Empty Trash.

3. The white file is simply an alias of the program/application that has been installed.

4. Depends on what the program was. Sometimes may be in Applications, or Utilities.

5. Not a laptop user however seems to be a way of conserving power.

thank harry! where could i find that apptrap?
QUOTE Thanks
madamepomme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
1. If the program comes with an uninstaller, use that. If it doesn't, you can simply drag it to the Trash.

2. Can I assume that you are talking about the icon at the bottom of this picture? If so, it is a disk image. Many Mac applications come in a disk image, which is mounted as a virtual disk (what that icon represents). There is no need to know the details - simply copy what you need and drag it to the Trash (which becomes the eject symbol) which will eject the disk image.

3. In the Energy Saver Preferences, the check I think you're looking for is "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep".
yes that's exactly it is! =) that 'lockedfiles' one. Because I was used to Windows when i drag something to trash i feel myself guilty and like i'm doing something wrong. So i hesitate to drag that white ones.
I'll be more comfortable after that. thanks

3 worked great.

thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Here is the AppTrap link:-

AppTrap
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy 1st MAC | Internet and Windows via Bootcamp »