New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Macbook User But No Programs Now.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beantownb

beantownb is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP with Snow Leopard

I bought a new macbookpro and I love it thus far but I now have no programs that are compatible with OSX. I need to find an ftpclient, something similar to Photoshop and Dreamwear that are not super expensive. I would prefer free if they exist and are legal of course. I miss these programs and need something similar. Please help me stay with the mac. I won't give up yet unless its going to cost me lots to get these things.
QUOTE Thanks
beantownb

What are the best must have apps that the mac user should have?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

There are, frankly, too many to list. You might get more useful responses if you seek applications for specific tasks..

I.E., IM'ing with Adium, Deleting application fully/cleanly with AppCleaner, watching videos with VLC and so on..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

Pandora internet radio is awesome, put in a song name and it generates music for hours in that genre or style.

Accuweather i think is way better for weather, its a lot more descriptive, gives hourly, and 15-day forecast.

Craigsphone, for Craigslist browsing, is an OK program, not designed that well but i use craigslist all the time.

FML- F My life is a funny website that people post their bad stories to, pretty funny

Boxed in- A really fun game, puzzle like, gotta push boxes around to get out of each level, 50 levels, its free too

Big Oven- its a cool cookbook program, on occasion i need a recipe for something when I'm at the store, its helpful

There definitely is a lot of good apps, these are just the ones I've kept on my phone.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Please use the Search Feature... really, please do:

Favorite Freeware Apps?

Any cool applications....

Top 10 Mac applications

Your Favorite Application

Best software???

whow knows about cool free games or software?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
joeyboots

joeyboots is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Quicksilver and NameMangler are my favorites for straight up productivity with the OS itself.

I could name a bunch more, but like Raz0rEdge says, I doubt the solutions I've found would be of use to the average user, such as Blender for 3D modeling and TextWrangler for text editing.

I'm not a Mac. I'm not a PC. I'm a person.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

For ftp clients, check out CyberDuck, a very easy to use, simplified client, or FileZilla, a more traditional client. Both are free.

Gimp is a free Mac equivalent for Photoshop. Not sure about Dreamweaver, hopefully someone else can recommend something.
QUOTE Thanks
beantownb

I will use the search feature. I'm sorry for the post. Thank you for understanding. I will use that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantownb View Post
I bought a new macbookpro and I love it thus far but I now have no programs that are compatible with OSX.
Welcome. There is a plethora of software out there. As you Google, make sure you just suffix your query with "mac".

Quote:
I need to find an ftpclient,
I use CyberDuck

Quote:
something similar to Photoshop
The GIMP is free. If you want a more polished, commercial type of program, check out Pixelmator.

Quote:
and Dreamwear that are not super expensive.
Dreamweaver is the Cadillac of web editors. If you don't want to purchase the Mac version, you'll need to settle for lesser editors. The one I like is called RapidWeaver.

Quote:
I would prefer free if they exist and are legal of course. I miss these programs and need something similar. Please help me stay with the mac. I won't give up yet unless its going to cost me lots to get these things.
Of course, if you already own this software for Windows, you can easily run it under Windows either via virtualization or Boot Camp.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Code:
I need to find an ftpclient, something similar to Photoshop and 
Dreamwear that are not super expensive.
I use Filezilla for ftp and find that it works fine.

Gimp is an alternative to Photoshop but I find it a bit geeky - I don't like the way the windows are spread all over the screen and it is not very intuitive. Pixelmator is an alternative, which has the same issue of mini windows, but which I think is designed better - priced, but not expensive - $59.00 - Pixelmator. As for Dreamweaver - I think it is available for the Mac, but is pretty expensive. I've tried all the html editors for the Mac and have found nothing to match Homesite (which is the editing engine under Dreamweaver). My solution has been to get VMFusion and have a Windows XP virtual machine on the Mac. It works perfectly, so stuff I can't afford to runs on the PC and I can switch from PC to Mac by pressing a key - you don't need to use Boot Camp to install VMFusion. There's also a freeware alternative for creating virtual machines on the Mac, Virtual Box - VirtualBox. I haven't tried it but others find that it works well.

For other stuff, check out Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

You could get photosop cs 3 for 128 bucks from Amazon. Not bad. That's what I'm running. Of course there are free opensource programs and stuff, but Adobe does it best.

As stated, CyberDuck for ftp, quicksilver for... well.. it's not so self explanitory... it just makes life way cooler, adium for instant messaging (all chat clients), openoffice, acquisition, tomatotorrent, others.
QUOTE Thanks
Beleg Cuthalion

Beleg Cuthalion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4ghz 10.7.4, iPhone 4

I agree that photoshop cs is great, as is imageready cs. Microsoft Office is essential. Gameranger is great for mac gaming. A fun one is Celestia, which is free.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostsushi

ghostsushi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz

all those threads are from 2007, you don't think its time for a new one already?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 20 inch Dell monitor working with Macbook Pro 15" | Default iPhoto Folder Location? »