Multiple Networks
    Multiple Networks
    Hi All

I will try to make this as clear as possible.

Current setup:

• 1 pc on a collge network (main work pc)
    • 1 pc on asdl (web testing pc)
    • KVM - Belkin Switch 2 to change between the above

Dream setup:

One imac capable of running both networks - with some kind of easy way of switching between them.

is the dream setup possible?

thanks in advance!

Multiple Networks
    Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Sure it is. There are several options. I would mahe my adsl wireless and hard wire the uni system. That what I would do any way.

Multiple Networks

Specs:
    15" MBP
    You can have multiple networks. And when you pull down the Network Preferences menu, toggle between the two with "Join Other Network"

Multiple Networks
    Thanks for the replies...

the hard wired and wireless, seems like a the simplist, as long as the network staff buy me a wireless router too.

"Join Other Network" - is this part possible with if both networks where hard wired? if so how?

:K

Multiple Networks

Specs:
    15" MBP
    My understand is that whatever network you are hard-wired to, the Mac will recognize it and automatically connect you. You shouldn't have to manually switch back and forth.

For example, I plug into my work network, and get a DHCP address of 10.0.11.30. Then I go home and plug into my home network and get 192.168.1.11. It's seamless moving back and forth between locations.

Multiple Networks
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    You can have multiple network connections at the same time, regardless of whether the interfaces are hard-wired or wireless. The only caveat is that they need to be entirely separate networks. Not abiding by that means that at the least all of your packets will just run around on your machine and never get out and at the worst cause a loop that will prevent the entire network from functioning properly.

Now having satisfied the different network requirement, you can use the networks simultaneously, but you cannot, however, dictate which interface should be used to route traffic beyond the following:

If you specifically access a machine only available on one network, then the interface on the network you wish to contact will be used.

You will only have have default gateway (having two can cause problems), so if one interface is on a network that's just local and the other is on the Internet, obviously all of your Internet traffic will go out the interface that's on the Internet.

Now if both of your interfaces are connected to networks that have Internet access, then it's kinda hard to know which interface is being used when you access the Internet.

Hopefully that kinda describes the issues that might arise..if you could describe your network a little more, perhaps we can narrow down the things that might and might not work..

Regards

Multiple Networks
    Thanks all,

i have had talks with the network staff (who fear macs) who then put me on to the main tech (who likes them...ish) mentioned issues similar to what Raz0rEdgewe mentioned,we have come to a compromise, I am replacing the work pc with a mac mini! woo hoo!

thanks for all of the advise!

:K

Thread Information