New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiple Networks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kvnthng

kvnthng is on a distinguished road

Hi All

I will try to make this as clear as possible.

Current setup:
  • 1 pc on a collge network (main work pc)
  • 1 pc on asdl (web testing pc)
  • KVM - Belkin Switch 2 to change between the above

Dream setup:

One imac capable of running both networks - with some kind of easy way of switching between them.

is the dream setup possible?

thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Sure it is. There are several options. I would mahe my adsl wireless and hard wire the uni system. That what I would do any way.
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

You can have multiple networks. And when you pull down the Network Preferences menu, toggle between the two with "Join Other Network"
QUOTE Thanks
kvnthng

Thanks for the replies...

the hard wired and wireless, seems like a the simplist, as long as the network staff buy me a wireless router too.

"Join Other Network" - is this part possible with if both networks where hard wired? if so how?

:K
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

My understand is that whatever network you are hard-wired to, the Mac will recognize it and automatically connect you. You shouldn't have to manually switch back and forth.

For example, I plug into my work network, and get a DHCP address of 10.0.11.30. Then I go home and plug into my home network and get 192.168.1.11. It's seamless moving back and forth between locations.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You can have multiple network connections at the same time, regardless of whether the interfaces are hard-wired or wireless. The only caveat is that they need to be entirely separate networks. Not abiding by that means that at the least all of your packets will just run around on your machine and never get out and at the worst cause a loop that will prevent the entire network from functioning properly.

Now having satisfied the different network requirement, you can use the networks simultaneously, but you cannot, however, dictate which interface should be used to route traffic beyond the following:

If you specifically access a machine only available on one network, then the interface on the network you wish to contact will be used.

You will only have have default gateway (having two can cause problems), so if one interface is on a network that's just local and the other is on the Internet, obviously all of your Internet traffic will go out the interface that's on the Internet.

Now if both of your interfaces are connected to networks that have Internet access, then it's kinda hard to know which interface is being used when you access the Internet.

Hopefully that kinda describes the issues that might arise..if you could describe your network a little more, perhaps we can narrow down the things that might and might not work..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
kvnthng

Thanks all,

i have had talks with the network staff (who fear macs) who then put me on to the main tech (who likes them...ish) mentioned issues similar to what Raz0rEdgewe mentioned,we have come to a compromise, I am replacing the work pc with a mac mini! woo hoo!

thanks for all of the advise!

:K
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS on a PC laptop? | Brand new iMac - wont load certain sites? »