New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrading to Snow Leapard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ace.13unibody

ace.13unibody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G

So I'm a relatively new Macbook Pro user, i am eligible for a $9.99 upgrade from OSX to Snow leopard. I mainly use my computer for school, use microsoft office 2008, internet browsing, document/research viewing. So my question is, what improvements can i expect to see, i'm pretty sure im going to buy it since its 9.99, but is it really worth the hassle and WHOLE TEN DOLLARS
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Snow Leopard is an incremental update to Leopard and in most cases the changes will go unnoticed by most users. There are a couple of changes (Exchange support, Expose in Dock) that might be of interest, but probably not to you.

On the downside, application need to be specifically compliant with Snow Leopard because of 64-bit support, so it's possible that applications might fail..

If you're happy with your Leopard installation, stick with that..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
zelaya

zelaya is on a distinguished road

Can someone who has photo shop CS3 tell me if they have any issues? Until now I don't have any issues with Leopard however I'd not mind paying the extra for extra improvement. Please share any issues anyone is having.
QUOTE Thanks
mckimchi

mckimchi is on a distinguished road

I have CS3 and everything works great.
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.13unibody View Post
So I'm a relatively new Macbook Pro user, i am eligible for a $9.99 upgrade from OSX to Snow leopard. I mainly use my computer for school, use microsoft office 2008, internet browsing, document/research viewing. So my question is, what improvements can i expect to see, i'm pretty sure im going to buy it since its 9.99, but is it really worth the hassle and WHOLE TEN DOLLARS
There continues to be printer issues. I also paid the $10 and installed on Tuesday and it automatically upgraded from 10.6 to 10.6.1. My HP printer eventually showed up (in the command-P window) but the OS complained something about it. I guess it couldn't find a driver? Anyway, I downloaded one from HP. It was an old one, 2007 or something like that. It installed ok and then the OS was happy and then my printer was happy and then I was happy.

Probably won't effect too many folks but it turns out the Lazarus debugger doesn't get along with SL.

I'd say go for it. It does have some pretty nice features (I can finally use the four-finger gesture) and from what I've read it lays the groundwork for some pretty important stuff in the future. Here is a (very long but impressive) article on SL:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: the Ars Technica review - Ars Technica
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac. Need networking to Vista help please.. | A Few Things I Don't Miss About Windows »