New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A few things I miss after switching from Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaapengel79

jaapengel79 is on a distinguished road

Well, I've stated this before, but after a 2-week experiment with a third-hand eMac 700MHz, I bought a second-hand iMac 20" 2,16GHz model. Really really happy with it and wouldn't want anything else - too bad the company I work for won't let me bring it along to work in the office

I've also got SL in the meanwhile which is absolutely amazing - I've always wanted a decent Exchange 2007 solution on previous Linux installations for instance.

Still, there are a few things that bug me for which I haven't found a solution yet. The 2 main things that bother me are:

1) A freeware, decent offline editor for Wordpress (I love Blogo, but don't use WP enough to validate a $25 purchase!)

2) Is it true that the only MP3-player that will sync with iTunes is an iPod?? I mean, I got a Creative Zen X-Fi 16Gb not too long ago and would love to integrate it with my Mac.. but apart from being able to set the removable SD card as a removable disk, which I can easily access through the Finder, it's still a hassle to really transfer music back and from the player that way.

Maybe I haven't looked into Wine enough, if a Mac OS X version actually exists, to use Blogo - but still I think it should be possible to find something alike as easily as, for instance, Blogdesk for Windows.

(Come to think of it, it'd be even better if Pages had a Wordpress publishing option built in!)
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

You could try downloading this for your Zen, though I hear it's kind of spotty.

XNJB - Download
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Maybe Bootcamp? if you haven't got that already...

QUOTE Thanks
iP32000

iP32000 is on a distinguished road

One True Thing that any Mac User who was with windows is that we miss the fact that we dont get to wish we want a mac MAC FTW !!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Google : OSX offline editor for Wordpress
OSX offline editor for Wordpress - Google Search

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
mckimchi

mckimchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iP32000 View Post
One True Thing that any Mac User who was with windows is that we miss the fact that we dont get to wish we want a mac MAC FTW !!!!!!!!
lol nice first post
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckimchi View Post
lol nice first post
Nice... almost triggered a cranial meltdown

QUOTE Thanks
mckimchi

mckimchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
Nice... almost triggered a cranial meltdown
what o_o
QUOTE Thanks
jaapengel79

jaapengel79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchy View Post
Google : OSX offline editor for Wordpress
OSX offline editor for Wordpress - Google Search
Thanks, I'm gonna try that first hit. It's just that I would like a decent piece of software that will let me add pictures and format the whole thing properly since the online editor from WP is a bad joke.. I've always been bad at finding stuff online (not computer illiterate here; heck, I've been working / playing with them for nearly 2 decades).

Although I admit that wishing for something is at least as much fun as eventually owning it doesn't apply - I love my Apple more than I originally anticipated There's a famous Dutch saying, which goes like.. 'Het hebben van de saeck, is het einde van het vermaeck' (it's ancient Dutch, 17th century I think). It means 'owning the desired, means the end of the joy'..

I'm starting to go astray - thanks for the posts as of now. XNJB looks really.. primitive... but I'll try it out when I get back home
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapengel79 View Post
There's a famous Dutch saying, which goes like.. 'Het hebben van de saeck, is het einde van het vermaeck' (it's ancient Dutch, 17th century I think). It means 'owning the desired, means the end of the joy'..
Well, that guy must have been really enlightened then, cause that's exactly what is happening today.

Stuff has gotten a lot cheaper, and our attitudes toward it have changed correspondingly…
Most of the stuff I accumulated was second to worthless, because I didn’t need it, really.

Then came the Mac......

QUOTE Thanks
SimonB

SimonB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHZ 1.25GB(10.4.11, Powermac G3 350Mhz 640mb(10.4.11)

XNJB Is Fantastic! Although it looks aren't really up to scratch, its good for what it does Has lots of good little features too! I've use it with my Creative ZEN and its perfect! Although i do now want to get an ipod I'd love really good intergration with itunes
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Wine works for MAc, though I've had dubious results in 10.4 and 10.5. I haven't tried in on 10.6 yet. You might consider a trial download of Parallels, VMWare, etc and see if you get the windows functionality you need via virtualization. I use Parallels once a week to submit my company's MS Project based timesheet with fine results.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Just to add, for the creative MP payer, Songbird supports it

Songbird - Open Source Music Player

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
You might consider a trial download of Parallels, VMWare, etc and see if you get the windows functionality you need via virtualization.
Depending on you needs, you could add VirtualBox to that list, which is free. You just need Windows.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
battlefield

battlefield is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13 inch macbook pro; 2.26 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160 BG HD

Yay, my first post in mac-forums! I've made the switch to mac a week ago. I miss the simplicity of downloading programs in Windows, easy to get a shortcut (alias on the mac, which took me a while to figure out) on your desktop, and no .dmg files!!! : )
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rootkit | iLife programs slow to open..... »