Question How to "map" a drive to Windows Vista PC?
    I couldn't find anything here with instructions on mapping a drive on my new Mac to my Windows Vista PC. Googling lead me to several places instructing me to use the Finder, Go, Connect to server, Browse Network - which I did and added (+) this share from Vista PC - smb://officepc/users/jack.

Now when I click on the Connect button, it seems to connect right away - but never asks for Windows Workgroup, User ID or Password. So what opens up is a blank folder.

Its as if I'm connected but can't see files.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Have you tried connecting to /users then navigating to jack?
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.11
    What are the security controls that you have in place on the Vista PC for that folder ?

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    Have you tried connecting to /users then navigating to jack?
    Yes - same result.

Quote Originally Posted by McBie View Post
    What are the security controls that you have in place on the Vista PC for that folder ?

Cheers ... McBie
    Same as when I connected with older Windows XP laptop. No firewall. Can I tell you anything more?

Somehow I would have thought (and have read on the net) that the connecting process on the Mac should have asked for User ID and Password.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    If connecting to the SMB share from the Mac didn't ask for your password, it's because the Mac thinks it already has the right information in the Keychain..

Been playing with this quite a bit with my NAS recently since I wanted to SMB mount a couple of different shares with different user/pw combo, but after mounting the first share using my user/pw, any attempts to mount other shares would use the same user/pw combo whether it's correct or not.

To mount multiple shares with multiple credentials, you have to use the command line.

So I'd suggest going into Utilities->Keychain Access and seeing if you already see a user/pw combo saved for the machine you are trying to access, if so, delete it and it should prompt you for it and you have a checkbox there to save it in the keychain or not..

Regards

Done but no such item in Keychain list. My NAS is there and works fine but nothing for the Vista PC.

Specs:
    First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
    On the vista machine, did you share out the folders you're looking to get to? By default Windows will only share out an admin share, which would not help you in this case.

Yes the are all shared. I can click/open them on the mac but dont see any files.

Thread Information