New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help on deciding!~

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Con_ky

Con_ky is on a distinguished road

I am trying to decide on the 250GB or 160GB macbook pro 13". I want to use bootcamp and install windows 7 on it. Basically, I will mostly be using windows for homework, or youtube, or downloads ( i will set it to automatically boot up in windows). The only times I would use OS is for editing. I am planning to install programs on it like photoshop, flash, illustrator, final cut, motion etc. Is 160GB not enough? Should I go with the 250GB one? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

oh btw, I'm planning to keep my songs, picture, and movies etc. in a portable external hard drive.

Thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Go 250.

Final cut is huge, even if they've been able to trim it down with the latest release, it's still not a small program. It'd be very easy w/ OS, base apps you might want, photoshop, FCS, etc. to eat up a lot of drive space.

If all you wanted was OSX, then the 160 would probably be fine, but with wanting to add Windows 7, and possibly additional apps for it - you'll really want the extra space.

if you feel the upgrade price through Apple is too expensive, look into what it takes to swap out the drive yourself then look at some of the online retailers to see if you can get a 2.5" drive for less and do it yourself - the OS install is no real big deal.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

How much extra is the 250GB HD? I just bought myself a 7,200rpm 500GB internal HD for £80 for my MBP...You'll fair much better buying it with the stock HD and then upgrading it yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I'd go with the cheaper of the two and buy a larger and faster HDD from a third party vender. IE. Newegg.
QUOTE Thanks
FISHB124

FISHB124 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I agree, 250GB for dual processing is the way to go. Even though snow leopard free's up some space, windows 7 will probably take up a big chucnk of your HD space. Also, you always want to have a good amount of free memory just so your computer can run a bit more efficiently. Like mentioned before, I would try to invest in an external hard drive to keep all of your files backed up and keep your desktop a little clean xD Rocstor drives are pretty cool. Anyone ever heard of them except me?
QUOTE Thanks
Con_ky

Con_ky is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for all your opinions!

You guys are right, I think I will go with the 250GB one just in case. Don't want to get the 160 one and get screwed over.

I know somewhere that is selling the 250G one for 1,399.99$ US. I am gonna find out how much it will be if I upgrade it myself. Thanks all again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cut and snip song | New to Mac. Need networking to Vista help please.. »