Applications taking over screen
    I've got a macbook and I've always wondered if there's a way to make it so when certain applications are loaded, they just appear in a window rather than covering the entire screen. It's just that I'd prefer to be able to check whether someone has messaged me without having to close the application all together. I've found this generally happens when I'm loading a game. Anyway, any help will be appreciated! thanks

21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    I'm confused. What else what an app appear in if not a window? You can resize the window by dragging the lower right corner. You can hide the app with Command+H, or use Spaces to set up multiple desktops with certain apps assigned to them which are only visible when each space is activated. What about App Switcher? Just hit Command+Tab and cycle through all your open apps. You can also minimize an app window and keep it in the Dock until you need it again.

Your Macbook has a resolution of 1280x800, which is small but should be adequate for most apps.

If a game has been designed to run only full-screen, there's not much you can do about it. Many games aren't intended to be run in a window.

Ithaca NY
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    WoW you can run in "windowed mode" but still have full screen and growl alerts will pop up over the top with your adium messages. I imagine this is possible with other games too. Other than games, there are no apps on mac that run full screen. Otherwise, you can use command+H to hide apps.

Thread Information