New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Applications Folder on Dock missing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fireman0174

fireman0174 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC

When I got my new iMAC several weeks ago, I had (as best I can recall) an Application Folder on the Dock. Today it's not there. I can still find the programs that were in the folder using the Finder ->Go->Applications link, but no matter what I do I can't find the folder that was on the Dock, nor can I seem to be able to make a replacement folder for the Dock.

I have no doubt that this problem is operator induced. Any suggestions and/or assistance to get a working folder on the Dock with program links would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's how to get it back to the Dock:

Open the Finder. Right click on the Applications folder and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the dialog which will open, you'll see an icon preview of the Applications folder. Grab hold of that icon preview with your mouse and drag it to the RIGHT side of your Dock and drop it in place. Make sure it's to the right of the separator or it won't stick. Also, be careful not to drag the folder to your desktop.

Once the folder is in place on the Dock, right click it and select "Display as" folder. You're done.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
fireman0174

fireman0174 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Open the Finder. Right click on the Applications folder and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the dialog which will open, you'll see an icon preview of the Applications folder. Grab hold of that icon preview with your mouse and drag it to the RIGHT side of your Dock and drop it in place. Make sure it's to the right of the separator or it won't stick. Also, be careful not to drag the folder to your desktop.

Once the folder is in place on the Dock, right click it and select "Display as" folder. You're done.

Regards.
Sucessfully accomplished, and thank you for the assistance and the VERY quick reply.
QUOTE Thanks
kk227

kk227 is on a distinguished road

Thnaks alott for showing the feature that even this way we can drag and rop in mac...
QUOTE Thanks
Pascal333

Pascal333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Regards.
When I do this, I drag and drop the "A" icon onto the doc, and it then morphs into the icon for "1 password", which is the 1st icon in the list of apps in the Applications folder. If I remove "1 password" then when I drag the "A" icon onto the doc, the icon for whatever was next at the top of the Applications list ("Address Book" in my case) replaces the "A" on the doc after it is dragged there. And so on. So I can no get the applications icon onto the doc (to stay) this way.

Any help?

Mac Power Book Pro
i5 processor
OS X version 10.6.5.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You missed the 2nd step.

Quote:

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Pascal333

Pascal333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You missed the 2nd step.

You are sooo right bobtomay....thank you for pointing that out...Neat!
QUOTE Thanks
rphomer

rphomer is on a distinguished road

I read all the instructions for putting it back on and changing it to the right icon, but when i right click on the mouse i just get the items that are in my application folder and do not get a command "display as". My application icon has the address book icon. I have an Imac 27 dual core late 2009 make. I did make an alias and tried that but the application folder came out plain blue. When I go to finder and info I have to drag the bottom folder as nothing happens when i click and try to drag on the one in the upper left corner of info. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphomer View Post
I read all the instructions for putting it back on and changing it to the right icon, but when i right click on the mouse i just get the items that are in my application folder and do not get a command "display as".
If you're using a one-button mouse, you'll need to Control+Click.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Or enable right clicking for your one-button mouse in System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
Yatko

Yatko is on a distinguished road

Thank you!

www.yatko.com
QUOTE Thanks
bradfork

bradfork is on a distinguished road

wow this happened to me and I surely appreciate this forum. SO THANK YOU!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bought AppleCare days past warranty end - am I covered? | Disconnecting an externalUSB drive »