New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how do i get fullscreen with firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pokeman89

pokeman89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive

Hi, i just started using my mac a few days ago, and for the past hour I have been looking through the menu in firefox to get into fullscreen mode. How do I do it, F11 just shows the desktop, ctrl+f, command+F, and option+f do not go fullscreen, and I cannot figure it out at all. I run a low screen resolution because I have an old monitor, so fullscreen is really helpful for some sites. Can anyone help me.

Oh, and if anyone knows why this is happening, I downloaded a video widget (ESPN video or something like that) and all it does is show the quicktime logo with a question mark on it. I have flip4mac installed, that's what it said would fix the problem, but it didn't. It's not a big deal because I can just as easily launch a browser to view sports highlights, but if anyone knows why this happens, please tell me, thanks!

I dumped my iPod touch for a Samsung Galaxy S phone. I like my expandable memory and flash support
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

This is Mac OS not Windows. The fullest screen you get is how far you can click and drag. Frankly I like it that way.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Not sure why this is happening to you. When I click the green "Zoom" button, Firefox goes full screen.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Not sure why this is happening to you. When I click the green "Zoom" button, Firefox goes full screen.
I think he means "covering the entire screen", dock and menubar included. As far as I know, this is not possible.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
gagnerants

gagnerants is a jewel in the roughgagnerants is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I think he means "covering the entire screen", dock and menubar included. As far as I know, this is not possible.
Agreed, though you could have the dock set to hidden to get the affect of a "full-screen."
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

There is no such thing as full screen for browsers on a Mac. You just pull the corners and center the browser until it fits your screen.
QUOTE Thanks
psaxena

psaxena is on a distinguished road

You can try using the button on the upper right corner of the window to remove address bar and bookmarks bar. Probably that's what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I guess there are lots of definitions of what "full screen" means. I have a feeling the original poster means to say that he wants the Zoom button to work like the Maximize button in Windows. It doesn't work that way, but once you drag the window to fill the screen, it will open up to that size every time you hit the Zoom button. So originally my Firefox window did not open up full screen. I had to drag the corner and now it opens up to that size whenever I hit Zoom.
QUOTE Thanks
liveD83

liveD83 is on a distinguished road

I know exactly what you mean i used to love the full screen view in IE or Firefox when pressing F11. But if you make your dock disapear when your cursor isn't on it and organize the icons in firefox and get rid of the bookmark and all the other crap on the top it's pretty much the same thing. I make my icons small only have back, forward the address bar on top of firefox on the same line. Hope i explained that right.

Macbook 13" 2.4ghz, 4GB
QUOTE Thanks
pokeman89

pokeman89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 DP 867MHz MDD, 660GB HD Space, 1.5GB RAM, Radeon 9000 PRO, Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
This is Mac OS not Windows. The fullest screen you get is how far you can click and drag. Frankly I like it that way.
No, that's not what I am talking about. One of the other posts solved it, thanks gagnerant's I did not know the dock had to be hidden to bring the screen down all the way.

I dumped my iPod touch for a Samsung Galaxy S phone. I like my expandable memory and flash support
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Sharing not in System Preferences | Microsoft Silverlight - safe? »