New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Copy Programs to my new Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andthinkoftexas

andthinkoftexas is on a distinguished road

Hi, everyone! First post here, but am excited to be a part of the community!

I have a question:

I am looking to install a program on my new Macbook Pro. I have previously installed this program to my iMac and was wondering how I could install it to my Macbook without having the "install file".

I'm not extremely smart on all this stuff, but... in theory... if you can delete a program from a Mac by dragging it to the recycle bin, shouldn't you be able to drag it to a flash drive in order to duplicate it on another system?

For instance, if I drag it from "Applications" to a flash drive, then put the flash drive into my other Mac and then drag those files from the flash and into the "Applications" folder of my new mac... will it work?

I may be reaching, ha. I know. But I have no idea where my install cd is for this program and I sort of need it. Thanks a ton! Any and all suggestions welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

It depends on the application. Basic applications such as MSN Messenger or Skype do work like that but others don't. The only way to know is to try it

Welcome to MF!

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

In most situations that's correct, you can drag around the applications from /Applications in one Mac to another and it should re-create any configuration files that you didn't bother bringing over as well.

Is it not easier to grab the DMG file for the application you wish to install on the new MBP?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

I apologize for the incorrect placement.

Hm. What would be an example of programs that won't work that way?

I'm atwork right now, so I can't try it out yet- but will do later, for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
In most situations that's correct, you can drag around the applications from /Applications in one Mac to another and it should re-create any configuration files that you didn't bother bringing over as well.

Is it not easier to grab the DMG file for the application you wish to install on the new MBP?

Regards
Yeah... I'm a newb and have no clue what you mean, ha. I'm interested in learning, however. I know its like "disk image... something". I guess its used to transfer files?
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

An example of a program that wouldn't work would be Photoshop. Usually it's the bigger programs that won't work like this.

A .dmg file is basically a container for an application (or anything you choose to put in one). Typically, an application you download will come inside a .dmg (or disk image) and you "mount" it, then drag the application into your Applications folder. In some ways, it's like a virtual disk. Programs that install by dragging into the Applications folder are always transferrable via USB.

QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
An example of a program that wouldn't work would be Photoshop. Usually it's the bigger programs that won't work like this.

A .dmg file is basically a container for an application (or anything you choose to put in one). Typically, an application you download will come inside a .dmg (or disk image) and you "mount" it, then drag the application into your Applications folder. In some ways, it's like a virtual disk. Programs that install by dragging into the Applications folder are always transferrable via USB.
Ah.

So, not most larger programs. Which means, while I might be able to transfer MSN Messenger (to use your example), I wouldn't be able to with Office- because its larger. Correct?

EDIT: And, actually- MSN Messenger is in my Office folder, so... maybe the others would work that way as well?
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

I have successfully done it with Office before, but that was way back in '05. I haven't needed to since then, so I can't give you an accurate answer for that. I wouldn't be surprised if you can though.

QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

Awesome. I'll try it out tonight and, hopefully, it works.

Love the icon, btw, ha. Remember the tv show, Flash? That was horrible, ha.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Thanks I made it almost a year ago, soon after I watch the 1980 movie "Flash Gordon". Very funny...

I'm off to bed... Good luck with your apps!

QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

It should work. I installed Adobe CS 1 on my MacBook in this manner to serve me until I got to my dad's CS 3 install discs. I grabbed them out of the apps folder on my dead powermac G5's drive. Photoshop at least worked.
QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
It should work. I installed Adobe CS 1 on my MacBook in this manner to serve me until I got to my dad's CS 3 install discs. I grabbed them out of the apps folder on my dead powermac G5's drive. Photoshop at least worked.
Excellent, ha. I love my Mac more and more everyday, I swear.
QUOTE Thanks
andthinkoftexas

UPDATE: It worked! Thanks for all of the input!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« googlemail won't send | Windows Sharing not in System Preferences »