Specs:
    Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
    MBP hangs very often
    Hi!
    I switched to mac like 2 weeks ago. Now I have a 17" MBP and it is very nice and all BUT it hangs like 10 times a day and I don't know what to do. I force a shutdown by pressing the pwr button like 10 seconds and then rebooting. The rebooting then takes like 1-2 minutes.

I thought macs didn't hang that easily, I am almost ready to go mac to pc if I can't find a solution to this. Is there anything else I can do than force a shutdown? Is it common that macbooks hang?

/John

Specs:
    15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
    I have never heard of this happening before with macs. Has this been happening constantly for the two weeks you've had it?
    "60% of the time it works, every time."
    - Brian Fantana

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Quote Originally Posted by Antracith View Post
    Hi!
    I switched to mac like 2 weeks ago. Now I have a 17" MBP and it is very nice and all BUT it hangs like 10 times a day and I don't know what to do. I force a shutdown by pressing the pwr button like 10 seconds and then rebooting. The rebooting then takes like 1-2 minutes.

I thought macs didn't hang that easily, I am almost ready to go mac to pc if I can't find a solution to this. Is there anything else I can do than force a shutdown? Is it common that macbooks hang?

/John
    Bring it in to the Apple store.
    A mac that is two weeks old should NOT be doing this. This shouldn't even happen to a mac that is a few years old.
    Likely, there is something wrong with your laptop. They will either fix it for free or give you a brand new one. =D

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Yes, I agree with alexsd, take it to an Apple store or call the helpline for apple if your not close to one, sounds like you may have some bad hardware. Apple is really good for warranty so i'd take it back pronto!
    Show some Love give Reputation Reputation FAQ

Specs:
    Macbook pro 17" 2.3 GHZ, 3 GB ram + 2 other MBP:s
    Ok, I will try to, but this one is in fact not new. I bought it from the Swedish equivalence of ebay. The MPB in the mint condition, everything is perfect eccept this. It has not been happening all the time, just the last 4 days or so. I will try to contact an apple store but I have no papers on this one so it might be hard...

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    if it's not under warranty that may cause problems. If it's not new, there's a variety of things you can do. A) what % of your hard disk space is free? B) have you ever tried to repair permissions?

Let's troubleshoot for him guys, it's been used before, and we all know how "great" auction sites are.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    It should also be mentioned that force powering down any computer will likely compound the existing issue by further corrupting the filesystem.

In my experience frequent hangs are related to failing hard drives, bad memory, or filesystem problems.

The first thing I would recommend is to run the Apple Hardware Test - although the results are not always 100% reliable, it might give us some preliminary insight into the problem.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information