New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iPhoto Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dave95sps

dave95sps is on a distinguished road

Could anyone provide instructions on how to resize a photo in the iPhoto program ? I would like to make them small enough to attach to email. I have spent several hours trying to learn this new program (new for me), importing, events, captioning, etc, but am unable to figure out how to resize.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

It's easy if you are using Apple Mail. Just select the pictures you want in iPhoto and click on the Mail icon at the bottom right of the window. A dialog will open asking you what size you want the pictures to be. Choose your size and hit OK, and the pictures will be automatically resized to your specifications in a new blank email message.

Or you can drag the photos from iPhoto into a Mail message and choose a size from the bottom of the message window.

Or you can open a new Mail message and click the Photo Browser button on the top right which will allow you to pick photos from iPhoto to include in the message. Then choose a size from the drop down menu at the bottom of the message window.
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

If you don't want to immediately email the photo, and just want to simply resize the photo, you have to use the 'export' command under the 'file' menu.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Export gives you a choice of file sizes. Select type (probably .jpg), next option down gievs you a choices of preset sizes.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
dave95sps

dave95sps is on a distinguished road

Thanks ! I figured there would be a way, and knowing MAC, that way would be user friendly. I appreciate your guidance.
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

And don't forget Preview - very handy app and u not only get size choices but all these formats as well;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
RoarinRow

RoarinRow is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MBP 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Export gives you a choice of file sizes. Select type (probably .jpg), next option down gievs you a choices of preset sizes.
Doh, I didn't know about this Export function. Wish they had given it a more obvious name, like 'resize' lol.

Mid 2009 MBP 13" 2.53 GHz 4GB 320GB HD MAC OS 10.6.2
iPhone 3GS 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

OK,

So I resized a photo and exported it to 'Library".

Now how do I find that photo.?

In 'Finder', 'Library' has many folders, but I cannot locate the photo.

Thanks.

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

I may be asking a question with an obvious answer, but how do I open or view a photo in 'Preview'?

Thanks,

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You're making things way too complicated for yourself. Simply drag the photo out of iPhoto onto the desktop and then double click on it and it should automatically open in Preview.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Kash,

Thanks for the advice about preview, that works!

Collin Bl,

What program is that screen shot of? My Preview doesn't look like that in OS X 10.6.2.

Thanks,

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Looks like Tiger or possibly Leopard. Snow Leopard's Preview definitely looks different.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
OK,

So I resized a photo and exported it to 'Library".

Now how do I find that photo.?

In 'Finder', 'Library' has many folders, but I cannot locate the photo.

Thanks.

Larry H
In finder if you know the name of the .jpg you just resized type that into the box on th top right of the window with the magnifying glass and it should sort through and bring up said .jpg

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display profiles | Outlook email on mac »