Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everyone, I have a problem that I hope a MAC pro can help mw with. I am a PC user (please dont ban me lol) and I have been given an old Mac and rather than throwing it away I would like to give it to my grandson to learn on. Here is my problem:

It has OS 8.6 on it. I download a game on the internet for 8.6, burn it on a CD on my PC, transfer that CD to the MAC and when I double click the file after I have put in on the desktp I get an error saying that it could not be openned because the program thats created it could not be found. This has a file extension of .HQX When I look on the net what .HQX is, I find its a compressed file, so fine enough, I need a decompressor BUT when I download that it is also a .HQX file.

This is frustrating or maybe I am doing it all wrong on a MAC I dont know

Are there any suggestions?

Surely someone would have a suggestion for this?

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Get Stuffit expander. It will open HQX files no problem.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Interesting enough I did that and it was also the same file type and wouldnt open

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    How are you trying to open the file. Just double clicking it should unstuff the file.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    i'm with Kevriano, Stuffit Expander will open .hqx and unstuff it to the location its at , at the time unless otherwise specified. I have an old mac classic II b/w that i use stuffit expander on and i'm running 7.5.5 on it , so you shouldn't have any issues with it..

When I double click the suffit.hqx file I get the error message saying that it could not be openned because the program thats created it could not be found

Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Have you tried to open stuffit expander first and then try to select the file? sometimes you get bad associations, and have you done a reboot yet? Sometimes there are also some startup control panels that need to start.

I really do not know what you mean. I CAN NOT install Suffit. I downloaded it but it comes up with that same error. I can relate this to Windows prior to XP, when you needed Winzip or something else to uncompress a file, but with Winzip in those days the install program just started when you double click it. What I am saying is the Suffit will not install or am I doing it wrong. I think I explained all that in my original post didnt I.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebowen View Post
    I really do not know what you mean. I CAN NOT install Suffit. I downloaded it but it comes up with that same error. I can relate this to Windows prior to XP, when you needed Winzip or something else to uncompress a file, but with Winzip in those days the install program just started when you double click it. What I am saying is the Suffit will not install or am I doing it wrong. I think I explained all that in my original post didnt I.

You need an older version to make it work. Stuffit 5 or older. the new versions DO NOT work on anything less then mac os x

I'm working on finding you a link
    --Click Me To Download Stuffit for Classic OS 5.5--

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    His problem is the Stuffit download is also an .hqx file, which he can't install because he doesn't have Stuffit installed.
    Catch 22.
    One manís theology is another manís belly laugh.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    Ah I misread that, that is my mistake, Usually they come as a .sit. I'll host the file already expanded for him then.

Aladdin Expander™ 5.5 Installer

Specs:
    How ridiculous to stuff the program file as hqx when you need the program inside to open it!

Thank you all for all your help and suggestions and especially rippingviper for his file posting BUT that does not even work. Once on the mac it wants to know what program to open it with and I selected each one on the listing in turn and non of them worked. What is it about a MAC that everyone likes so much. I have never ever had difficulties like this on a PC even back to Windows 3.0. I wanted to give this computer to my grandson to learn on but maybe it would be better to buy him an older PC

Specs:
    Try getting The Unarchiver, that unstuffs everything I know of.
    There is nothing wrong with Macs, and they easily the best thing to learn computing on.
    I can't understand why a ready unstuffed file won't open.
    What spec Mac is this, and what OS are you running?

Yes you are right and that statement was a harsh one, Im just very frustrated with something that SHOULD be easy. Its Imac, if that helps and OS 8.6. I have the disk so I did a new and full install of the system

Thread Information