New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

switcher ineed to help!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

subzero_ice

I got bought an iBook a week ago and have been trying to install ethereal and nessus. I am having a few problems and I have tried searching the web but the posted solutions didn't work for me. My background: I use linux and am quite comfortable with it.

1. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB?

2. How do I uninstall programs from OS X. Namely the apple encylopeda?

3. When I tried installing ethereal using fink or opendarwin ports I got errors compiling GTk because XFree86 couldn't overwite apple's X11 folder. When I tried installing ethereal using the source and using apple's X11 I got an error when running ethereal. I want to make my iBook a vulnerability testing machine but I am having a really hard time trying to get any of these security tools working. Please help.

4. I am using the inbuilt 256MB RAM for the iBook. I don't use any memory intensive applications yet my virtual memory is 3.4Gb in size almost always and when compiling programs it takes awfully long. What would be a decent amount of RAM to add 256Mb? or 512Mb? Could somebody please tell me the technical specs of the RAM and where I could get good deals?
Thanks for helping a switcher.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

1. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB?

It all depends on what applications were installed with the restore. OS X alone can take up to 3 GB, so with all of the default apps installed on top os OS X it is not unheard of to take 6 GB.

2. How do I uninstall programs from OS X. Namely the apple encylopeda?

Simply drag the app to the Trash.

3. When I tried installing ethereal using fink or opendarwin ports I got errors compiling GTk because XFree86 couldn't overwite apple's X11 folder. When I tried installing ethereal using the source and using apple's X11 I got an error when running ethereal. I want to make my iBook a vulnerability testing machine but I am having a really hard time trying to get any of these security tools working. Please help.

I am really not up on my *nix, so I can't really help you there

4. I am using the inbuilt 256MB RAM for the iBook. I don't use any memory intensive applications yet my virtual memory is 3.4Gb in size almost always and when compiling programs it takes awfully long. What would be a decent amount of RAM to add 256Mb? or 512Mb? Could somebody please tell me the technical specs of the RAM and where I could get good deals?

512 MB should be fine. That is all I have in my Macs and they run smoothly. Your iBook wil take PC 2100 DDR RAM. You can usually find good deals at NewEgg or Crucial

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If you have Apple's X11 you dont need to install xfree86. You DO need to install Xcode though. Even though I dont use ethereal I didn't have any problem with it when I tried it (Fink install).

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
subzero_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
If you have Apple's X11 you dont need to install xfree86. You DO need to install Xcode though. Even though I dont use ethereal I didn't have any problem with it when I tried it (Fink install).
I have tried installing ethereal both ways. With using Apple's X11 and without Apple's X11 using fink. When I tried usig fink I got an error because XFree86 didn't work with OS X for some reason. When I used apples X11 and ran ethereal I got an error saying that Gtk couldn't find output display. I was trying to run it from an xterm.

Anybody using their Apple laptop for running open source penetration testing tools? Could you please help.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Ok, well you might need to use another window manager, one that uses GTK. I use KDE, tho WindowMaker or Gnome will work fine. I dont know if ethereal will work with Apple's window manager.

In order to do this you need to make your own .xinitrc file in your home folder. If you want, I or most anyone here can help with this.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
subzero_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom
Ok, well you might need to use another window manager, one that uses GTK. I use KDE, tho WindowMaker or Gnome will work fine. I dont know if ethereal will work with Apple's window manager.

In order to do this you need to make your own .xinitrc file in your home folder. If you want, I or most anyone here can help with this.

Could you please post your file. I could use that as a reference and asked you for help based on the problems I run in to.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero_ice
Could you please post your file. I could use that as a reference and asked you for help based on the problems I run in to.
Here is the one I use. Notice the KDE commands are uncommented. If you use KDE dont include the part starting with >/tmp/, that was a fix for a problem I had.

#!/bin/sh
###################################
# X init file for OS X
# by Craig Domingue
# 1/21/2004
#

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

#############################
# merge in defaults and keymaps
#
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
xmodmap $usermodmap
fi
unset LANG

##########################
# Set up for Fink
#
source /sw/bin/init.sh
quartz-wm --only-proxy &
# start Enlightenment
#
# Execute enlightenment. ALWAYS make sure this is at the end of this
# startup file - and ALWAYS run things before it with an & at the end.
# For example:
# xterm &
# kpanel &
# It is suggested to use Enlightenment's Remember dialog for having apps
# spawned automatically on login.
#
#exec /sw/bin/enlightenment

# start KDE
#
# command puts log in /tmp instead of console
#
export KDEWM='kwin'
/sw/bin/startkde >/tmp/kde.logC 2>&1

###########################
# start WindowMaker
#exec wmaker

######################################
# start Apple window manager
#exec quartz-wm

#############################
# Ion window manager
#exec ion

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« made the switch!! | Download problems with AOL »