Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   switcher ineed to help!!! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/16942-switcher-ineed-help.html)

subzero_ice 04-11-2005 01:00 AM

switcher ineed to help!!!

I got bought an iBook a week ago and have been trying to install ethereal and nessus. I am having a few problems and I have tried searching the web but the posted solutions didn't work for me. My background: I use linux and am quite comfortable with it.

1. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB?

2. How do I uninstall programs from OS X. Namely the apple encylopeda?

3. When I tried installing ethereal using fink or opendarwin ports I got errors compiling GTk because XFree86 couldn't overwite apple's X11 folder. When I tried installing ethereal using the source and using apple's X11 I got an error when running ethereal. I want to make my iBook a vulnerability testing machine but I am having a really hard time trying to get any of these security tools working. Please help.

4. I am using the inbuilt 256MB RAM for the iBook. I don't use any memory intensive applications yet my virtual memory is 3.4Gb in size almost always and when compiling programs it takes awfully long. What would be a decent amount of RAM to add 256Mb? or 512Mb? Could somebody please tell me the technical specs of the RAM and where I could get good deals?
Thanks for helping a switcher.

D3v1L80Y 04-11-2005 01:13 AM

1. I recently reinstalled my iBook to its default factory settings. It occupies approx 12Gb of hard didk space leaving me 18GB (have a 30Gb hdd). But after I installed X and xcode I was left with only 12Gb. Does X and xcode take 6GB?

It all depends on what applications were installed with the restore. OS X alone can take up to 3 GB, so with all of the default apps installed on top os OS X it is not unheard of to take 6 GB.

2. How do I uninstall programs from OS X. Namely the apple encylopeda?

Simply drag the app to the Trash.

3. When I tried installing ethereal using fink or opendarwin ports I got errors compiling GTk because XFree86 couldn't overwite apple's X11 folder. When I tried installing ethereal using the source and using apple's X11 I got an error when running ethereal. I want to make my iBook a vulnerability testing machine but I am having a really hard time trying to get any of these security tools working. Please help.

I am really not up on my *nix, so I can't really help you there

4. I am using the inbuilt 256MB RAM for the iBook. I don't use any memory intensive applications yet my virtual memory is 3.4Gb in size almost always and when compiling programs it takes awfully long. What would be a decent amount of RAM to add 256Mb? or 512Mb? Could somebody please tell me the technical specs of the RAM and where I could get good deals?

512 MB should be fine. That is all I have in my Macs and they run smoothly. Your iBook wil take PC 2100 DDR RAM. You can usually find good deals at NewEgg or Crucial

cradom 04-11-2005 02:28 AM

If you have Apple's X11 you dont need to install xfree86. You DO need to install Xcode though. Even though I dont use ethereal I didn't have any problem with it when I tried it (Fink install).

subzero_ice 04-11-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom
If you have Apple's X11 you dont need to install xfree86. You DO need to install Xcode though. Even though I dont use ethereal I didn't have any problem with it when I tried it (Fink install).

I have tried installing ethereal both ways. With using Apple's X11 and without Apple's X11 using fink. When I tried usig fink I got an error because XFree86 didn't work with OS X for some reason. When I used apples X11 and ran ethereal I got an error saying that Gtk couldn't find output display. I was trying to run it from an xterm.

Anybody using their Apple laptop for running open source penetration testing tools? Could you please help.

cradom 04-12-2005 12:29 AM

Ok, well you might need to use another window manager, one that uses GTK. I use KDE, tho WindowMaker or Gnome will work fine. I dont know if ethereal will work with Apple's window manager.

In order to do this you need to make your own .xinitrc file in your home folder. If you want, I or most anyone here can help with this.

subzero_ice 04-12-2005 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom
Ok, well you might need to use another window manager, one that uses GTK. I use KDE, tho WindowMaker or Gnome will work fine. I dont know if ethereal will work with Apple's window manager.

In order to do this you need to make your own .xinitrc file in your home folder. If you want, I or most anyone here can help with this.

Could you please post your file. I could use that as a reference and asked you for help based on the problems I run in to.

cradom 04-13-2005 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzero_ice
Could you please post your file. I could use that as a reference and asked you for help based on the problems I run in to.

Here is the one I use. Notice the KDE commands are uncommented. If you use KDE dont include the part starting with >/tmp/, that was a fix for a problem I had.

#!/bin/sh
###################################
# X init file for OS X
# by Craig Domingue
# 1/21/2004
#

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

#############################
# merge in defaults and keymaps
#
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
xmodmap $usermodmap
fi
unset LANG

##########################
# Set up for Fink
#
source /sw/bin/init.sh
quartz-wm --only-proxy &
# start Enlightenment
#
# Execute enlightenment. ALWAYS make sure this is at the end of this
# startup file - and ALWAYS run things before it with an & at the end.
# For example:
# xterm &
# kpanel &
# It is suggested to use Enlightenment's Remember dialog for having apps
# spawned automatically on login.
#
#exec /sw/bin/enlightenment

# start KDE
#
# command puts log in /tmp instead of console
#