New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Stopped Secure Empty Trash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jabbin

jabbin is on a distinguished road

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could help me?

I moved some private / sensitive files to the trash to delete, and clicked on "secure empty trash" to make sure they were permanently deleted. However, I then had a second thought, and so clicked the "stop empty trash" button whilst they were being deleted. The files are now no longer in the trash, or in their original locations. Have they been (securely) deleted, or only partially deleted? Are there parts of the files still floating around, somewhere hidden on my system. I have entered into spotlight the name of the files and it cannot find them.

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

If Spotlight cannot find them and they are not in the trash, looks like they are gone. Secure Empty Trash is not for the faint hearted believe me as it does NOT muck around deleting stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

here's how it works. When you delete a file you remove the pointer this is how you can 'undelete'... the pointer to the file is gone, but the data is still there. Secure empty trash overwrites the data blocks with random patterns of 0's and 1's multiple times. Now, since you stopped it, I suppose that there could still be some blocks in tact, but without the other blocks the data would now be pretty much useless. I imagine that you could recover these with some pretty significant forensic tools though, how successful that would be would depend on the algorithm that Apple uses for secure empty trash and the cost of the recovery would increment with difficulty.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jabbin

So, I need not worry that if someone uses my mac they may stumble across these files?

Thanks for the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbin View Post
Hi there

I moved some private / sensitive files to the trash to delete, and clicked on "secure empty trash" to make sure they were permanently deleted. However, I then had a second thought, and so clicked the "stop empty trash" button whilst they were being deleted.
I guess the big question is...why did you click on the "stop" empty trash button...if you really wanted it securely deleted?

That's why you get the "Are you sure you want to erase the items in the Trash permanently using Secure Empty Trash?" warning before emptying the trash!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jabbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I guess the big question is...why did you click on the "stop" empty trash button...if you really wanted it securely deleted?

That's why you get the "Are you sure you want to erase the items in the Trash permanently using Secure Empty Trash?" warning before emptying the trash!

- Nick
If anyone has any advice which is more helpful than "Nick"'s then that would be much appreciated.

Should I wipe the hard drive and re install OS X, or this this unnecessary? Is there a way to check if anything remains?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dude, just go into Disk Utility and Erase Free Space.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
jabbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Dude, just go into Disk Utility and Erase Free Space.
Really sorry to seem dumb - what does that mean/do?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

it does exactly what it sounds like you want done. it overwrites any freespace on the drive so that it can't be reread.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbin View Post
If anyone has any advice which is more helpful than "Nick"'s then that would be much appreciated.
My earlier post wasn't advice it was a statement! If your plan was to erase something...why would you click "Stop" in the middle of the process???

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jabbin

Thanks for the statement Nick. Thanks for the help everyone else.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screen in Windows (via bootcamp) is totally black | My Microsoft icons won't behave »