New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Printer Sharing from PC to Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FChappius

FChappius is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Mac OS X Version 10.5.7

Hey.

Having trouble sharing my printer, which is hooked to my PC, with my macbook laptop. I went onto about.com and followed this step by step instruction, and I did everything it said.

When I get to sharing my printer, I share my printer on my pc and made sure that both macbook and pc have the same network name. However, when I go to add a printer on my macbook, click on workgroup to see what networks are available, my pc name and printer do not show up.

Help anyone? The article I followed is below:

Printer Sharing - Windows XP Printer Sharing With Mac OS X 10.5
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

this seems to be a re-occurring question, so it might be hard to get a response to your post. try using the search for network printer or something along those lines. a LOT of threads will come up. might also want to check the apple site - support. i believe it's covered there as well. if memory serves me correctly, it's a step by step doc

p.s. i'm still fiddling with WORKGROUP...many set their network printer up without using workgroup feature.

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

I have 2 possible solutions for you.....

My printer/scanner/copier was usb'd to my desktop XP PC, and then have XP laptop and now a new Macbook Pro ... and a time capsule.

Could and did setup the time capsule as the print server - connect printer to time capsule and install Bonjour to the windows pc's and very quickly and easily had a working networked printer (without need for any desktop PC to be running to use the printer). However, scanners don't work over network like this so..... took a step back to use it connected to desktop as before - which is what you're trying to do.... So :-

First one to try:-
MacBook Hacker: Printing from the MacBook to a Canon MP 800 over an XP Network

Note to use not the actual printer driver, but a 'Guten' print driver.... give this option a try. Looks like many found happiness with this... but not me, sadly. Will try it again... but was not too upset as i'd already found this other gem :-

How to Use a Printer Attached to a Windows XP Computer in Mac OS X

This is a bit more longwinded, but not 'difficult' and WORKS..... was surprised. But for sure, if the first one abpve is giving trouble then just do this second option to get a prunter working - and you cna go back to the more 'elegant' way later.

Don't you love how Apple hid the advanced option in the printers window?

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

And if none of those work for you, try connecting your printer directly to your router.
Of course, this only works if your router has a means of connecting to your printer via usb or some other means.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook AC Adapter issue | screen in Windows (via bootcamp) is totally black »