Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Printer Sharing from PC to Macbook (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/169159-printer-sharing-pc-macbook.html)

FChappius 09-27-2009 11:32 AM

Printer Sharing from PC to Macbook

Hey.

Having trouble sharing my printer, which is hooked to my PC, with my macbook laptop. I went onto about.com and followed this step by step instruction, and I did everything it said.

When I get to sharing my printer, I share my printer on my pc and made sure that both macbook and pc have the same network name. However, when I go to add a printer on my macbook, click on workgroup to see what networks are available, my pc name and printer do not show up.

Help anyone? The article I followed is below:

Printer Sharing - Windows XP Printer Sharing With Mac OS X 10.5

margaret438 09-27-2009 06:28 PM

this seems to be a re-occurring question, so it might be hard to get a response to your post. try using the search for network printer or something along those lines. a LOT of threads will come up. might also want to check the apple site - support. i believe it's covered there as well. if memory serves me correctly, it's a step by step doc

p.s. i'm still fiddling with WORKGROUP...many set their network printer up without using workgroup feature.

good luck

cjcoops 09-27-2009 11:10 PM

I have 2 possible solutions for you.....

My printer/scanner/copier was usb'd to my desktop XP PC, and then have XP laptop and now a new Macbook Pro ... and a time capsule.

Could and did setup the time capsule as the print server - connect printer to time capsule and install Bonjour to the windows pc's and very quickly and easily had a working networked printer (without need for any desktop PC to be running to use the printer). However, scanners don't work over network like this so..... took a step back to use it connected to desktop as before - which is what you're trying to do.... So :-

First one to try:-
MacBook Hacker: Printing from the MacBook to a Canon MP 800 over an XP Network

Note to use not the actual printer driver, but a 'Guten' print driver.... give this option a try. Looks like many found happiness with this... but not me, sadly. Will try it again... but was not too upset as i'd already found this other gem :-

How to Use a Printer Attached to a Windows XP Computer in Mac OS X

This is a bit more longwinded, but not 'difficult' and WORKS..... was surprised. But for sure, if the first one abpve is giving trouble then just do this second option to get a prunter working - and you cna go back to the more 'elegant' way later.

Don't you love how Apple hid the advanced option in the printers window?

Coops

MYmacROX 09-28-2009 01:17 PM

And if none of those work for you, try connecting your printer directly to your router.
Of course, this only works if your router has a means of connecting to your printer via usb or some other means.