New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Welp


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Fomer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Drove to the Apple Store today and purchased my purty 15 inch g4 powerbook. I am a little confused on somethings (first mac, first laptop) Aight... number uno,

- copy and paste? Any easier way than sliding the touch pad all the way to "edit"... (I miss good ol Right Click)
- how do I delete items off the dock...?
- how to stop recieved files from short cutting on my desktop...
-Any good admunchers out there for safari... all my favorite sites (except this one of course ) All load down with darn pop-ups
-How do I add things to the dock... probably will be answered along with deleting. (mostly trying to add home to my dock)
-Also is there a way to change your "home" for safari?

That's all I got now... other than that the pb is fantastic this is my first apple and Steve Jobs can be proud because it won't be my last.
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

 
Emrys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,345
Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Emrys is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer
Drove to the Apple Store today and purchased my purty 15 inch g4 powerbook. I am a little confused on somethings (first mac, first laptop) Aight... number uno,

- copy and paste? Any easier way than sliding the touch pad all the way to "edit"... (I miss good ol Right Click)
- how do I delete items off the dock...?
- how to stop recieved files from short cutting on my desktop...
-Any good admunchers out there for safari... all my favorite sites (except this one of course ) All load down with darn pop-ups
-How do I add things to the dock... probably will be answered along with deleting. (mostly trying to add home to my dock)
-Also is there a way to change your "home" for safari?

That's all I got now... other than that the pb is fantastic this is my first apple and Steve Jobs can be proud because it won't be my last.
Cool, I have a lot of that answers....

Copy and Paste : If you hold CTRL-SHIFT-LEFT/RIGHT it will highlight the whole line starting from where you are, and ending at the end of the direction you choose.

Deleting Items Off Dock : Drag 'em off It's that easy. Just click drag it right off the dock onto the desktop, and you should get a little puff of smoke. It's gone

Downloaded Files : You need to open the Safari preferences : Select "Safari" and then "Preferences" then "General" and there is a drop down there to select where you want to save downloaded files. This is of course in the toolbar.

Pop-Ups : Safarai has a built in pop up killer. Select "Safari" and then "Block pop-up windows" in the toolbar

Add things to the dock : There are 2 ways of doing this. The way I do it, is hold down OPTION and then drag whatever you are working with to the dock where you want it to be. So you can open your disk in finder, go to applications, hold down option, and drag the calculator to the dock and there it is, to stay. If you want to get rid of it, just drag it off the dock. The OPTION button actually creates an "alias" which is like a shortcut, so the application actually stays where it originally was, and you get a shortcut on your doc. You can of couse just drag it to the dock, but that will move the thing you are working with, and I don't like to do that.

Change "HOME" in safari : You can change your homepage in safari by selecting "Safari" then "Preferences" and then "General". There is a spot there for you to type in a new homepage, use the current, use blank, etc, etc.

Hmmmm, got 'em all

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Another handy shortcut I use all the time on my "Completely Functional iBook" is to hold down fn ( bottom left of the keyboard ) and press up or down arrows. This is the same as pageup and pagedown. I guess it's not really a shortcut, but I use it all the time, and it saves on mouse dragging.

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Thanks for the speedy reply, sorry for my delayed reply... ok everything was great except, what I meant by the desktop chaching my stuff was when I downloaded msn in made an icon on my desktop (the installer) then I installed it and deleted the installer icon but now I have a big white icon below my micintosh hd icon its same icon except white... and when i go to delete it finder pops up and is like WOAH you sure you wanna delete this? I clicked yes and then it said it couldnt delete because I had msn running... so i closed msn deleted it then i didnt have msn anymore.... its like the main msn file... does it have to go on my desktop? I hate desktop icons..


EDIT: Also as I had said on right clicking using windows... when on a site something i love to do is multibrowse... say here on the forums how would i go about opening say "powerbook" cat. and "switch hangout?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

 
Padawan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 21, 2003
Location: Coruscant, Galactic Republic
Posts: 1,185
Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Padawan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer
what I meant by the desktop chaching my stuff was when I downloaded msn in made an icon on my desktop (the installer) then I installed it and deleted the installer icon but now I have a big white icon below my micintosh hd icon its same icon except white... and when i go to delete it finder pops up and is like WOAH you sure you wanna delete this? I clicked yes and then it said it couldnt delete because I had msn running... so i closed msn deleted it then i didnt have msn anymore.... its like the main msn file... does it have to go on my desktop? I hate desktop icons..
It sounds like you'll want to drag that icon to a folder such as "Applications".

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
It sounds like you'll want to drag that icon to a folder such as "Applications".
Little tinkering around and it finally worked...thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer
Little tinkering around and it finally worked...thanks
Another question....I can't seem to get cleardock to work. I installed the program and created App Enhancers folder copied the ape file put it in there double clicked it and it says there is no default application specified to open this :confused:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Its on order.... | firewire hard drive »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?