New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

copying files from external hard drive to my mbp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

K515

K515 is an unknown at this point

I have an external hard drive (Iomega Mini 500 GB capacity) that I have a lot of photo files/folders on, and today I read in the "Switching to the Mac (Leopard Edition)" that Lady K recommended that (this is under the subject of transferring files from PC to Mac) and the book said that I can just hook up my external hard drive (it's formatted for Win XP, NTFS (I think)) by USB and just copy the files/folders over - it said nothing about a bootcamp partition on the mac's hard drive regarding this. But, I just want to tell you that my family made me take Windows XP out of my mac and eliminate the bootcamp partition earlier this week.

I'd like to copy some folders/files from my Iomga Mini over onto my mac's hard drive this way, but I'm afraid to try it because I think with no bootcamp partition on my mac anymore, it might corrupt/delete/wipe out all the contents of my Iomega Mini external drive.

Can you please help me?

Intimidated
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

OS X can read, but not write to, NTFS natively. You're copying from the XP box to the Mac? No worries then. If you're not booted to windows using bootcamp, there is no difference.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You won't have any issues just copying files to your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
K515

K515 is an unknown at this point

Thanks - but I forgot that my nephew had hooked the Iomega drive to my Dell Dimension desktop PC that's upstairs in my office - it's too big of a hassle (too dark next to the wall under my computer desk, and I kind of get dizzy everytime I lie on my back trying to disconnect/connect electrical plugs, etc.) yesterday afternoon. Until then I had my Iomega downstairs in the little corner of the dinningroom where my desk (and the mac) is.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't save to external HDD | VOIP for Mac »