New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

VOIP for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hari.p

hari.p is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

I switched to Mac just close to 2 months back and there has'nt been a day that i've not thanked Apple or my good luck for having doing so...

For messaging i'm very happy with Adium and Skype.

But for long distance calling to countries like Spain - Africa - i feel skype is still very expensive. In windows there are programs like voip zoom which allow you to call landlines for absolutely free and mobile phones at extremely nominal charges...

Can anybody suggest a good program that offers competitive pricing for long distance calling and sending sms messages?

Thank you.

(just to share an experience ... last week i was at Singapore airport and working on my mac when a guy comes up and sits across me .... he too opens up a mac. We exchange glances and a very subtle but meaningful smile. We end up talking ... and i land up getting an excellent tip for one of the projects i'm working on .. This kind of thing never happened to me in the last 10 years that i've been using laptops at airports...).
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

That's why macs are great

There are quite a few VoIP programs that are mac compatible, a few are as follows: Skype (which you have), gizmo, LoudHush, iChat (preloaded), SightSpeed, Ventrillo, TeamSpeex. The last two are usually used by games, but they work.

As far as prices go Gizmo is comparable to skype, but ive never called africa so i dont know. I'm not so sure on calling prices but i know there is a license you'll have to purchase its like 16bucks USD. iChat is free of course, SightSpeed, from what i know if free? and ventrillo and Teamspeex u probably wont end up using. Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
hari.p

THANK YOU so much for your reply - very grateful for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari.p View Post
THANK YOU so much for your reply - very grateful for the help.
Sure thing
Hope you found what you're looking for
QUOTE Thanks
hari.p

hi Ekim,

i went thru all the programs listed by you ... are there any programs solely for the purpose of calling long distance landlines and mobie phones? And just using the laptop and the net? Without any additional hardware or other complicated settings..? Like voipzoom or 12voip or justvoip?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« copying files from external hard drive to my mbp | Power Mac G4 died on me »