New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do you select which Partition/OS to boot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

breNTx22

breNTx22 is on a distinguished road

The goal for me is to have Mac OS, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 bootable on my MBP. Ideally i'd like to have it where it boots up Mac OS by default, unless I hit "option" at boot then it will let me pick between Mac OS, Ubuntu, and Win7. I think this is possible but since i'm new to mac i'm not sure.

Where i'm at now is I used bootloader to repartition my hard drive, I then made the windows partition and installed that. Once Win7 was setup I used "Wubi" to install Ubuntu. I couldn't get Ubuntu to load with that method. So I put in the Ubuntu CD and resized my Windows Partition and then installed Ubuntu on the freshly created space borrowed from the windows partition. Now unfortunately when I turn my MBP on and hit option the only selection I get is for Mac OS.

Can anyone offer some assistance on this?

Thanks

Unibody Macbook Pro 13.3" FB990LL/A
Snow Leopard || C2D 2.26ghz | 4 gb ||160 gigs || 9400m
##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by breNTx22 View Post
The goal for me is to have Mac OS, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 bootable on my MBP. Ideally i'd like to have it where it boots up Mac OS by default, unless I hit "option" at boot then it will let me pick between Mac OS, Ubuntu, and Win7. I think this is possible but since i'm new to mac i'm not sure.

Where i'm at now is I used bootloader to repartition my hard drive, I then made the windows partition and installed that. Once Win7 was setup I used "Wubi" to install Ubuntu. I couldn't get Ubuntu to load with that method. So I put in the Ubuntu CD and resized my Windows Partition and then installed Ubuntu on the freshly created space borrowed from the windows partition. Now unfortunately when I turn my MBP on and hit option the only selection I get is for Mac OS.

Can anyone offer some assistance on this?

Thanks
What is sounds like to me is that when Wubi failed, and you resized your hard drive partitions it messed with your current win7 partition. If you boot into OSX and click your hard drive does it show three distinct partitions OR only the size allocated to your OSX partition.
QUOTE Thanks
breNTx22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
What is sounds like to me is that when Wubi failed, and you resized your hard drive partitions it messed with your current win7 partition. If you boot into OSX and click your hard drive does it show three distinct partitions OR only the size allocated to your OSX partition.
I boot into OSX, select documents in the bottom right and open that. Then in the top left under devices it says Mac OS X, iDisk, Untitled. Upon clicking "Untitled" i see my windows drive. In there I also see a folder that says ubuntu. However, I think that ubuntu folder is there because of the wubi install, not when I attempted to fully install Ubuntu with the disc.

##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Quote:
I boot into OSX, select documents in the bottom right and open that. Then in the top left under devices it says Mac OS X, iDisk, Untitled. Upon clicking "Untitled" i see my windows drive. In there I also see a folder that says ubuntu. However, I think that ubuntu folder is there because of the wubi install, not when I attempted to fully install Ubuntu with the disc.
In my opinion Wubi is terrible and very problematic. To completely alleviate you of your problem i would suggest writing 0s to your non-OS X partitions, and deleteing your non OS X partitions. Then repartitioning and attempt again to install Ubuntu (not ugly wubi) & Win7. And if you have no crucial data and/or its backed up just reinstall OS X to ensure everything is clean. Although this takes time i've found it to be the best way to fix failure of installation related issues.

Ekim
QUOTE Thanks
breNTx22

Quote:
In my opinion Wubi is terrible and very problematic. To completely alleviate you of your problem i would suggest writing 0s to your non-OS X partitions, and deleteing your non OS X partitions. Then repartitioning and attempt again to install Ubuntu (not ugly wubi) & Win7. And if you have no crucial data and/or its backed up just reinstall OS X to ensure everything is clean. Although this takes time i've found it to be the best way to fix failure of installation related issues.

Ekim
Do you think I should just reinstall, have 1 partition, and then set up Ubuntu and Windows 7 on parallels, virtual PC, or some type of virtual machine maker?

Would my computer struggle to run Mac OSX and then Win7 virtually?

##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Ekim is correct. Start over. But this time don't use WUBI, rather download and install "rEFIt". But be sure to read the instructions and make a backup first!

Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Quote:
Do you think I should just reinstall, have 1 partition, and then set up Ubuntu and Windows 7 on parallels, virtual PC, or some type of virtual machine maker?

Would my computer struggle to run Mac OSX and then Win7 virtually?
It all depends on your specific hardware. Truthfully... i question why you need to install ubuntu on a mac o.O lol.. just my opinion.. i mean mac is based off of unix as is linux so they are very similar. Although if you insist on installing all three operating systems i would suggest reinstalling OS X and then using the default boot camp partition on your mac for win 7, and using virtualbox or vmware for ubuntu.

EDIT: to answer your virtual question about win7... it is a resource hog (just like vista), so i wouldn't advise running a vm of win7 unless ur on a iMac or MacPro (with >4gb RAM and a 2.8ghz processor -- thats just my opinion). I wouldn't even run it on my MBP that has the beefed specs... lol.

Ekim
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

I would recommend Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

I currently use VMWare Fusion, with VM's for Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.04, OpenBSD 4.5 and even an MSDOS 6.1 w/ Win 3.11 just for fun.
QUOTE Thanks
breNTx22

I installed virtual PC (because I get it for free through school) and it wouldn't open. It kept say that it unexpectedly closed.

##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Quote:
I installed virtual PC (because I get it for free through school) and it wouldn't open. It kept say that it unexpectedly closed.
I would recommend using VirtualBox, its current and really the only decent free vm software. You can download it at VirtualBox.com and its extremely easy to setup. Like i stated before, i wouldn't retry doing any of this without reinstalling OS X to make sure all bugs and kinks are completely removed!
QUOTE Thanks
breNTx22

Quote:
I would recommend using VirtualBox, its current and really the only decent free vm software. You can download it at VirtualBox.com and its extremely easy to setup. Like i stated before, i wouldn't retry doing any of this without reinstalling OS X to make sure all bugs and kinks are completely removed!
I completely reinstalled OS X so there's only 1 partition.

Just as an fyi, it's virtualbox.ORG

##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
damocles

damocles is on a distinguished road

There is a free program called bootpicker. After the initial set up it will let you choose from three OS to boot from without having to do the the option key thingie.

Red Stevens
Veritas vos Liberabit
QUOTE Thanks
breNTx22

I got Windows 7 installed by using VirtualBox (great program). However, I try to put my Mac Applications CD in to load the drivers but it doesn't recognize the disc.

##XBox Live Gamertag##
breNTx22
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Quote:
I completely reinstalled OS X so there's only 1 partition.

Just as an fyi, it's virtualbox.ORG
my bad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new to macs | MacBook Pro or Mac mini »