Choosing a Laptop
    Hello, Mac aficionados

I'm a college student looking for a laptop for basic word processing, lots of photoshop, music, internet, and a little bit of video editing.

Plus, I need to be able to play Diablo III when it comes out.

Storage isn't an issue because I live off of my external hard drive.

Any suggestions?
    I'll sacrifice a little speed for price
    My grants can only stretch so far.

Probably the MacBook 13" is your lowest common denominator. For video editing, and Diablo III, you definitely would need discreet graphics, which older 13" MacBooks did not have. The newer ones do have discreet graphics though.

If I were you, I would go for the 13" MacBook Pro though. It has the aluminum body, which is tougher for everyday use, and it has a faster processor, SD card reader, better battery (can be recharged 1000 times instead of only 300 times, meaning it will last 3 times longer). And it only costs about $200.00 more. To me this is the best compromise between money vs best features.

After reading this thread:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...tml#post819443
    maybe I should revise my advice. I had no idea that the lid was that easy to dent!
    2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
    32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
    Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Really, it's not as long as you're careful. Compared to the number of people who have had no issues with their MBP's getting dented, I'd say odds are in your favor if you get one. But if you KNOW you're going to be toting it around in your knapsack a lot, get the white Macbook. I'd say a MBP is for professionals who'll be putting it in proper case/sleeve/bag and using it as a portable desktop machine rather than a "laptop".

The white Macbook is made of plastic because it's intended to be used more like a laptop by students, casual users on the go, etc. MBP's are considered notebooks, not laptops, which is why it has a nicer screen, nicer, slightly less durable construction, etc.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    Probably the MacBook 13" is your lowest common denominator. For video editing, and Diablo III, you definitely would need discreet graphics, which older 13" MacBooks did not have. The newer ones do have discreet graphics though.
    It does not. It's still steals system ram to make it's VRAM. The only models that are out now with dedicated GPU is the 15", and 17" MBP.

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    Second that. No dedicated GPU on 13" MBP.

The previous generation of 15" MBP's didn't have dedicated GPU's on the base model... I think this might be true of current base models. It might be something you pay a little extra for.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    I'm too late, but I'll say it again. The nvidia 9400m is an integrated graphics card. And for Diablo III it will be just fine. It runs WoW at close to full settings just fine. I've seen the diablo iii trailer. It isn't as intense as WoW. I'd get the unibody MacBook refurbished for 899.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    I'm too late, but I'll say it again. The nvidia 9400m is an integrated graphics card. And for Diablo III it will be just fine.
    Have they announced hardware specs for Diablo 3?

I've seen people guessing at what they might be...but even at the Blizzard website they say:

"We'll announce specific system requirements at a later date."

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    It does not. It's still steals system ram to make it's VRAM. The only models that are out now with dedicated GPU is the 15", and 17" MBP.
    I stand corrected! This page:
    Apple - MacBook - Graphics - Powerful NVIDIA graphics performance
    made me think that the Nvidia GeForce 9400M was a discreet chip. (Since it is on a lowest end MacBook, I should have known better.) The link on that page to a graphics chip comparison shows the GeForce 9400M to be 5.4 times better than the Intel graphics chip in my MacBook.

So do we still need a discreet video chip for graphics performance? I am speaking of gaming, and light video editing.
    2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
    32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
    Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    ...So do we still need a discreet video chip for graphics performance? I am speaking of gaming, and light video editing.
    The short answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    Really, it's not as long as you're careful. Compared to the number of people who have had no issues with their MBP's getting dented, I'd say odds are in your favor if you get one. But if you KNOW you're going to be toting it around in your knapsack a lot, get the white Macbook. I'd say a MBP is for professionals who'll be putting it in proper case/sleeve/bag and using it as a portable desktop machine rather than a "laptop".

The white Macbook is made of plastic because it's intended to be used more like a laptop by students, casual users on the go, etc. MBP's are considered notebooks, not laptops, which is why it has a nicer screen, nicer, slightly less durable construction, etc.
    I 100% disagree with this
    why?
    Because all you have to do is through a hardcase on the mbp and a nice
    sleeve and you have a completely portable laptop.
    I would not base my buying prefernces on something with such an easy fix
    especially with the beneficial diffferences between a MacBook and a mbp
    true if the mbp and MacBook Were not that differnet spec wise I would consider this but even then, not greatly.
    The mbp is ultra portable

My 2p

Specs:
    Of course putting a case on a MBP helps considerably, but as is, it's definitely not as dent-resistant. I have to say though that I've never used a hardcase on mine and even the last Genius I saw was impressed by how pristine it is. I take it traveling and even camping, and it looks great because I treat it like a newborn infant.

I've noticed quite a difference in the way people treat Macbooks vs. MBP's. I would NEVER just throw my MBP in a backpack along with books, keys and other junk the way my boyfriend does with his MB. I put mine in a sleeve before putting it in a computer bag and that's the only way it should be treated if you're worried about dents and scratches, imo.

My point is that MBP's ARE portable, but out of the box they require more care than a Macbook.

Thread Information