New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Macbook Pro User (or will be soon)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenPie

BenPie is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be getting my new MacBook Pro 13" tomorrow and I'll be looking to transfer most of my existing files from Windows Vista (boo-hiss!) probably via my iPod Touch. Is this a reasonably simple way of doing it? I've looked through the Apple 'how-to' documents and it seems quite logical, but I've not used the iPod for file transfers before so just being a bit cautious.

My plan is to zip all of my files using WinRAR and then transfer them. Can OS X handle these files?

Final question - I recognise this will be a matter of opinion, but which is better to use on the Mac - MS Office 2008 or Open Office?
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

How do you plan to move the files to the iPod Touch? In OS X the iPod Touch can't be mounted as a drive (tho it may be possible with a third-party utility). In Windows, the only directory I've ever been able to read is the one the photos are stored in, and I can't write to it.
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPie View Post
I'm going to be getting my new MacBook Pro 13" tomorrow and I'll be looking to transfer most of my existing files from Windows Vista (boo-hiss!) probably via my iPod Touch. Is this a reasonably simple way of doing it? I've looked through the Apple 'how-to' documents and it seems quite logical, but I've not used the iPod for file transfers before so just being a bit cautious.

My plan is to zip all of my files using WinRAR and then transfer them. Can OS X handle these files?

Final question - I recognise this will be a matter of opinion, but which is better to use on the Mac - MS Office 2008 or Open Office?
I made the Win-OX file transfer with both machines on my wireless network and using file sharing. A bit of effort to set it up (there are plenty of help articles on this forum) but it works very well. Now that I'm done, I rarely use my XP machine but when I do turn it on, all files on it are visible on my Mac.

I use Open Office to access all my old Excel files. Since it is free, why not give it a try? If it doesn't meet your needs, you've lost little.
QUOTE Thanks
BenPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
How do you plan to move the files to the iPod Touch? In OS X the iPod Touch can't be mounted as a drive (tho it may be possible with a third-party utility). In Windows, the only directory I've ever been able to read is the one the photos are stored in, and I can't write to it.
You're right - I'd actually misunderstood the info on the iPod touch - you can use it (I think) to transfer iTunes libraries across, but not to transfer actual data.

I'll probably try and do it via my wireless network...
QUOTE Thanks
Ekim

Ekim is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPie View Post

You could use an IDE/SATA to USB adapter and connect that way. All you would have to do is pop out your hard drive, and connect it to the adapter (if you have one).
Another alternative is to get a network cable (rollover) and connect each computer to your LAN and just enable file sharing on both computers and transfer files that way. In addition, i would NOT recommend transfering a large amount of files via wireless.. it is unreliable and takes FOREVER!

As for acceptable file extensions, if you don't have Open Office or Office 2008 (or a program that reads .doc/.docx extensions) you obviously won't be able to access the files but they can of course be placed on the hard drive.
Personally i prefer Office08 to Open Office. I feel 08 as more functionality PLUS its prettier

Hopefully this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
Wait, you're serious? It won't mount as a drive like the iPod classic will if you turn off auto-synching? Here I was considering getting a 64 gig one... I may have to say F that.
QUOTE Thanks
BenPie

Hey - thanks for all the suggestions - I'm gonna go with using the wireless to do the transfer, maybe use a direct connection if necessary for a couple of larger files. Also going to go with using Office 08 - I can get the Enterprise edition for 10 with a scheme through work.

Also this is my first post using my brand-new MacBook Pro!!! Very pleased so far (albeit after about ten minutes using it!)
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

Congrats on your new MBP! Im sure once you go through the hassle of transferring files you will be quite happy with your new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
BenPie

I do have another question - had absolutely no problems copying files etc via an ethernet connection, but I used my pen drive to copy over my music files. iTunes picked them up no problem and added them to my library, but I now have the folder from my old PC (in which are the files I copied over) and my new Mac iTunes folder (which doesn't appear to hold any physical files in it).

Do I need to keep the old folder (ie the .aac files I copied) or are they held in some way in the new Mac folder and therefore can I delete the old folder?
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

how did you copy them over? did you use the "add to library" feature in iTunes? If so, in iTunes, go to preferences and then go to the advanced tab. Make sure the copy files when adding to library box is checked.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
BenPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliehass View Post
how did you copy them over? did you use the "add to library" feature in iTunes? If so, in iTunes, go to preferences and then go to the advanced tab. Make sure the copy files when adding to library box is checked.
Ah - that is how I did it, and have just had a look and the checkbox is checked. I will assume that the folder can be deleted.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« F12 opens Dashboard only first time | Why Does my 2.2 Ghz Macintosh Laptop Run at 90 Celcius on Idle? »