New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Problem with Erace Free Space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

calventeng

calventeng is on a distinguished road

I left bout 5GB space and wonder what took so much space as my notebook is 120GB and I don't have much huge file besides 30GB of songs+pictures, the rest are basically in word format.... I just run the 'Erase Free Space', then a window popped up said I need to spare more space and something like that, then it's just stop running.... now my space capacity show 'ZERO KB'......

Anyone can help me with any suggestion? HELP~~~ SOS~~~

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Welcome to the Forum. My first question is - what are u doing for back ups? That answer might suggest a path to sort your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I had the same thing happen... I think while it is erasing free space is has some sort of an issue. I don't recall exactly what I did... maybe a reboot? Then it showed the proper amount of free space.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

I could be wrong, but I think that the erase free space feature works by writing to the free space and then erasing it. If the process is interrupted before it could erase what it wrote then your HD will be full. I'm not sure how to fix it though...

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

You are correct, eliehass, it seemed to resolve itself for me. I was freaking out though, any time all your hard disk space disappears it's a scary scenario.
QUOTE Thanks
calventeng

Funny, it shows 4.79GB space available after I restart my computer..... I wonder what's wrong with it.....

I believe it might be temporarily files that I've deleted from trash.... Any idea how can I solve it? I'm not dare to try 'erase free space' at all.....
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

I think you are trying to use erase free space to free up space on your hard drive. That is not what erase free space does. Erase free space just takes whatever space on your hard drive is already free, and writes over it, securely wiping whatever used to be there. If you want to actually free up space on your hard drive you can try using omnidisksweeper to figure out exactly what is eating up all of your space.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
calventeng

hey eliehass! Thanks alot!! The program really helps alot and I have bout 14GB now!!!

Thanks everyone for the comments... thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Had to interject... do NOT interrupt the "Erase Free Space" process. You might be tempted to because it takes so long and it eventually takes up all your free space, which is then deleted in one big chunk. I made the mistake of interrupting it and I had 0 disk space left and couldn't figure out how to delete it myself. Eventually I had to take it to the Genius Bar and they were able to get rid of it for me. Don't know what I would have done without them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« linking up turntables to Imac | My System Prefernces and mail have question marks on them? »