New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Good Mac "cleaner"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rboseley

rboseley is on a distinguished road

It was my experience over on Windows - that most “clean-up” programs did more harm than good. My Mac is only three months old, but I would like to keep it clean as I can. So my question is to ask for suggestions for a proven, sound, cleaner for Mac.

I am running an app call simply App Cleaner currently. Just drag the unwanted app into the box and bingo - done. What is done? Now there’s the question.

AND, perhaps its 40 years of computer fatigue, but I don’t get Quicksilver. What exactly am I supposed to do with it?

Many Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I use AppZapper for applications and Onyx for everything else. As far as Quicksilver goes - you have to use it and read the manual. It does way too many things to even try to explain. You can use it as a simple launcher, but it does SO much more. It rocks.
QUOTE Thanks
Zigdog

Zigdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

snow leopard cache cleaner is pretty good!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note that the devs of OnyX only provide a beta for Snow Leopard right now so I would advise avoiding it unless you feel adventurous (if you do, backup first).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Note that the devs of OnyX only provide a beta for Snow Leopard right now so I would advise avoiding it unless you feel adventurous (if you do, backup first).
Good point!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

To clean your Mac, wipe the outside with a damp (not wet) cloth, or shut it down and vacuum it with a soft brush.

Turn it off, then blow canned air into the vent openings.

Vacuum your desk and office regularly to keep dust levels down.

That's all the "cleaning" your Mac should need.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Technologist... that was great.

As for Quicksilver... it definitely does way too many things to even begin to explain. There are a couple cool tutorials.

Things I've been using it for include launching apps, moving/copying files, creating system wide hot keys to either launch apps or websites, and a couple of other things. I haven't even scratched the surface and I love that app. I keep learning new things that I can do with it, and they make me smile. Especially on a laptop, as much as I can get done with a keyboard is welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboseley View Post
It was my experience over on Windows -
This isn't Windows, stop treating it like it is.

QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Cracking myself up here!

QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Rbosely, when you drag an app into AppCleaner, it's removing the app itself plus any associated preferences files, which are used to store your settings for that app, from your Finder.

Quicksilver catalogues your files and folders so that when you invoke it with a shortcut key, a small floating window with two panes appears on your screen, ready for you to start typing the name of a file or folder you're looking for and it gives you instant results, similar to Spotlight. From there you can open it, send it to someone, move it and many other things from a drop down menu without ever having to open the Finder or any other app.

So let's say I'm looking for a particular mp3 to email to someone but I don't want to go digging through the Finder to get it. I invoke Quicksilver (my shortcut key is Command twice) and the floating window appears. I start typing the name of the mp3 and immediately possible matches are listed in a drop down menu in the left pane. When I see the one I want, I select it with the arrow buttons, then from the actions pane on the right, I type "email to", then a third pane opens where I type the name of the person I want to email it to. Their name shows up in my Address Book results and I hit enter. Mail is automatically opened, a new message is created with the mp3 attached to it, all addressed and ready to send. It takes seconds and I don't have to open a single app.
QUOTE Thanks
rboseley

rboseley is on a distinguished road

Nothing like a user forum to get the best info. Obviously the WA's must get their's in - but since I myself am a WA - I love it. ACTUALLY. this little Mac will be going to Africa - the live in tents part - in November so keeping it clean could be tricky. Fortunately, I have the past experience of others to rely on. No - I won't be using the net for three weeks - but lots of data to collect.
Think I'll mess with Quicksilver.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« deciding between the 13 inch or 15 inch MBP | Folder/fil sorting in finder »